LDC Trucks Day 2
Sunday, Day 2 of the 2008 Laughlin Desert Challenge. Drivers in Group 2 line up at the starting line at 8:30am and are greeted with a cold wind and pouring rain. It is going to be a good race.
Though the soggy mud made it hard for some of the underpowered two-wheel drive trucks to get around, the big power V-8's and 4wd vehicles seemed to have little or no problem navigating the soupy course. All three of the Rod Hall Racing Hummers seemed to have no problem as they blasted around the course, even with the problems reported with the Stock Mini H3.
Rod Hall, driver of the #761 Stock Mini Hummer H3 talks about his race on Sunday...
"That's my windshield wiper (holds up a plastic scraper he was given by someone in staging). We went through all of our rags and we said, well, we've got that scraper (to clean his visor). It was a great trip out there. We had a problem right off the start. We had this big BANG and the thing just quit going. I figured I'm going to sit on this hill while everybody goes by. I backed off the hill, put it in reverse, and then it took off, so I did a couple of donuts out there. I don't know what it was. My guess is we locked up the spider gears and it stopped us and when we backed up all the spider gears fell out and we just ran in two-wheel-drive. I had a lot of problems trying to keep it on the course. Truthfully it was hard to tell (if in 2WD) because it was so slick out there. It'll be interesting to see what the big noise was. I just drive it, I don't know how to make anything work. It's getting to be harder days at the office. It's going to be someone else's turn eventually. We had a perfect run yesterday. It was good race with the boys in the Ranger (Steve Kovach). Truthfully, I just had more experience and got through the mud better than they did." - Rod Hall
14th SCORE Laughlin Desert Challenge
CLASS 3 (Short Wheelbase 4X4, 10 laps, 62.5 miles)
1. Donald Moss, Sacramento, Calif./Ken Moss, Marysville Calif., Ford Bronco, :2:12:06 (28.388 miles per hour)
CLASS 7 (Open mini trucks, 12 laps, 75 miles) - (4 starters, 0 finishers).
CLASS 7SX (Modified, open mini trucks, 12 laps, 75 miles)
1. Heidi Steele, San Clemente, Calif./Tim Lawrence, Santee, Calif., Ford Ranger, 2:20:17 (32.078 mph) (4 starters, 1 finisher)
CLASS 8 (Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks, 12 laps, 75 miles) - (3 starters, 0 finishers).
PROTRUCK (Limited Production Trucks, 12 laps, 75 miles) - 1. Jason Voss, Cupertino, Calif., Ford F-150, 1:57:05 (38.434 miles per hour) (1 starter, 1 finisher).
STOCK FULL (Stock, Full-sized trucks, 10 laps, 62.5 miles)
1. Chad Hall, Reno, Nev., Hummer H3Alpha, 1:59:11 (31.464 miles per hour);
2. John Griffin, Mission Viejo, Calif./Jeremy Spirkoff, El Cajon, Calif., Ford F-350, 2:03:18 (4 starters, 2 finishers).
STOCK MINI (Stock, Mini-sized trucks, 10 laps, 62.5 miles)
1. Rod Hall, Reno, Nev., Hummer H3, 2:11:46 (28.459 miles per hour);
2. Steve Kovach, Tempe, Ariz./Chip Carr, Gilbert, Ariz., Ford Ranger, 2:28:29 (2 starters, 2 finishers).
SPORTSMAN TRUCK (10 laps, 62.5 miles)
1. Brian Freemal, Las Vegas, Trophy Lite-Chevy, 2:06:16 (29.699 miles per hour);
2. Keith Growe/Mark Growe, Placentia, Calif., Ford Ranger, 2:15:03 (9 starters, 2 finishers)
Be sure to check out Page 2 for even more exciting LDC 2008 action!