2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Xsport
Suzuki's newest compact defines value in the entry-level SUV segment
By Douglas McColloch, Photography by Greg Smith, Ken Brubaker
Report: 1 of 4
Previous reports: None
Base price: $20,399
Price as tested: $22,699
Four-wheel-drive system: Electronic full-time two-speed transfer case
Miles to date: 6,164
Miles since last report: First report
Average mpg (this report): 18.38
Test Best tank (mpg): 22.16
Test Worst tank (mpg): 16.53
This period: None
Problem areas: Loose fuel filler door latch
What's Hot,What's Not
Hot: Everything and the kitchen sink for one low price; interior finish and trim; highly maneuverable in traffic and on tight trails; great sand machine.
Not: Lack of skidplating, low ground clearance inhibit hard-core 'wheelability; small fuel tank limits cruising range.
* "Handles off-pavement like a front-drive rally car; fun to drift in corners!"
* "Small size, light weight, good traction control, just enough suspension travel make this pretty darn fun on moderate trails."
* "This thing needs a bigger gas tank!"
* "Tires like to pick up pebbles, then eject them on the street."
* "Auto climate control works well in various temps."
* "Overall, a pretty fun vehicle to drive."
By Douglas McColloch
Enjoyed this Post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, or use your favorite social media to recommend us to friends and colleagues!