The front axle was the most trashed mechanical component, as the passenger-side tube was cracked out of the housing. I figured I'd just get a used housing and swap the parts, and that would be that. A call to Drivetrain Direct netted me a used housing with knuckles on it for only $100, including new inner axle seals and a pinion seal. After another can of JB-80 to loosen the rust, I drained the water out of the diff and took off the wheels, rotors, spindles, and axles. Actually I had to pry the axleshafts out since they were in a bent housing, but then I just unbolted the steering links and spring U-bolts and pulled the housing off. The replacement housing had a worn in 3.54 gearset already, so instead of swapping gears, I just replaced the inner seals and pinion seal and called it a day. A quick trip to my buddy with a press straightened out the axleshafts enough, and sanding the seal surfaces should keep most of the goo in and gack out.