Do you think you and your 4x4 have what it takes to spend a week off-roading with us? Can your truck go from extreme trail to highway while being self-sufficient? Can you? Can you handle hanging out with strangers, camping and wrenching in the dirt, being away from home for two weeks, and doing it without whining? If so, read the following rules and requirements then send your personal and vehicular info with a photo, description, and something about yourself that would be interesting, to 4-Wheel & Off-Road Ultimate Adventure, 831 S. Douglas St., El Segundo, CA 90245, or on the web at goo.gl/NGYZj. We need all applications here by March 1, 2012, and we’ll let you know if you’re chosen by April 1, 2012. As for where Ultimate Adventure is heading next year, that’s on a need-to-know basis, and a true adventurer doesn’t need to know until it’s time to go.
Rules for UA 2012
• No whiners!
• We are not responsible for you during this event.
• We will use the buddy system so you are partnered with another vehicle throughout this adventure. If you do not find a buddy before the first trail day, we will help you find one. Don’t worry about it. We’re all friends.
• We will try to stick together and help everyone, but with a group of this size, it will not always be practical to delay the group for one or two people.
• Only one vehicle allowed per invitee, and only two people per vehicle.
• Vehicles must be driven (not towed) on the entire Ultimate Adventure.
• Vehicle may be towed to the start of the event and to repair locations—the intent of the no-trailer rule is to enforce the pavement portion of the adventure.
• The group will leave as close as possible to posted times—don’t be late or you may be left behind.
• Bring overnight gear with your trail rig (sleeping bag, food, water, and so on) for unplanned situations—don’t depend on a support vehicle or trailer along the way.
• Participants are responsible for all their own expenses (food, lodging, fuel, repairs, fees, and other expenses).
• No pets and no children under 18 years old on the event.
• You are considered a representative of 4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine, as well as an adult, and a representative of the four-wheeling community as a whole. It is important to hold yourself to the highest standards of behavior as we are on display to the entire nation. We expect you to behave accordingly.
• Alcohol consumption will not be tolerated on trails or any time you are driving. Passengers may not drink on trails. Violators will get one verbal warning; the second offense removes you from the Ultimate Adventure.
• Illegal drug use will not be tolerated any time during the tour. There is no warning—first offense gets you removed.
• This is a 4-Wheel & Off-Road event designed to entertain our readers and offer promotional value to Ultimate Adventure sponsors. In order to protect the marketing value, Ultimate Adventure offers to its sponsors, only official sponsor’s lettering and/or logos are allowed to be displayed on the Ultimate Adventure vehicles. Your vehicle must be stripped of all lettering/logos not part of the Ultimate Adventure. You will be supplied with logos from the sponsors should you wish to run them, as well as Ultimate Adventure logos for your vehicle which must be applied.
• There will be a tech inspection at check-in. Your vehicle will be inspected for all of the following equipment and paperwork. You will not be allowed to join Ultimate Adventure if your vehicle fails this inspection.
• Vehicle must be street licensed and insured, and driver must have a valid driver’s license, current registration, and current proof of insurance.
• Front and rear lockers (no limited slips)
• Must be self sufficient (bring your own spares, tools, jack, and trail food)
• Front winch and accessory kit
• Rollbar/cage with safety grab handles
• Adequate first-aid kit
• Seatbelts for all occupants, worn always
• Adequate towstrap/winch attachment hooks and clevis front and rear
• Secure battery hold-down
• 35-inch minimum tire size and spare
• Working CB
• Fire extinguisher in reach of occupants
• Functioning parking brake