From September 9, 1942 to June 30, 1943, Ford produced 12,778 GPA amphibious Jeeps (the A stands for amphibian). Development of the amphibious Jeep was begun by Marmon-Herrington for the QMC-4 project. Ford soon eclipsed M-H and eventually developed the GPA, called the Seep by many. In the water, with a very low freeboard, it proved no match for anything more than light chop. It was most useful in crossing large inland rivers and lakes. The Russians received a number of GPAs and made several river assaults under fire with them. Today, floating examples are rare and pricey. This one belongs to Bill Anderson of Pueblo, Colorado, and gets plenty of frequent-floater miles.