The M38A1--or Willys Model MD--was the most radical redesign of the production Jeep since the MB. Built from April 1952 to May 1955 (for U.S. service), it’s considered by many to be the last true military Jeep. The round fenders and higher hood came as a result of the development of the more powerful F-head four. The civilian CJ-5 and CJ-6 are direct developments of the MD. The M38A1 was noted for being capable, reliable, and popular with the troops. For a time in the early 1960s, some M38A1s were modified to carry the Davy Crockett launcher (then called the M38A1D).