The M151 M.U.T.T. (Mobile Utility Tactical Truck) became the replacement for the M38A1 starting in about 1960. The development began with Ford in March of 1951, but by the time 1959 rolled around, the commercial side of Willys Motors had the contract to build them. The M151 was a high-tech tactical rig with an independent coil spring suspension. It was the plushest-riding tactical Jeep ever produced, but it had some unsafe handling quirks. It was built through 1978 and the last years by AM General in three versions: the original M151, the M151A1, and the M151A2. The A2 versions had an improved rear suspension that made them much less prone to rolling over. The M151A1C and M825 variants mounted 105 and 105mm recoiless rifles. The M107 and M108 variants were equipped with radio gear.