At this point, I had removed the fenderwells and had built a new mount for the radiator core support. The goal was to build an engine cage and convert the front suspension from leaf springs to links and coilover shocks. This photo also shows the vestiges of the old shock hoops still clinging to the frame rails. The death knell of the Phoenix Project came shortly after I'd reached this point. Several factors came into play. First, it was a huge project complete with an engine conversion and custom suspension in the offing, and the prospect of the Phoenix and TrailRunner at the same time was a daunting one. Second, I'd let the registration lapse, and had not done the smart thing and registered it as non-operational. Several hundred dollars in back DMV fees were due. Third, this is a small, cramped truck to drive or ride in, and I honestly wasn't looking forward to driving it once it was functional again. It was time to send the Phoenix Project back to the ashes. It was a waste because I poured a lot of time and resources into the Phoenix before I realized I needed to let it go.