Every month, we have a short answer to that question with a page or two of New Products. The creative minds in the off-road industry continue to outdo themselves, so this month we've dedicated a bigger chunk of space to showcase what's new.
Stay-Put Header Bolts
Heat and vibration have an uncanny way of backing out header bolts. Once the header bolts have disappeared, leaks are inevitable.
• Percy's High Performance Split-Lock header bolts lock internally, expanding the bolt threads against the thread wall.
• To install, simply tighten the bolt, and then tighten the set-pin.
• Available in black oxide or stainless steel.
• Made and packaged in the USA from premium-quality materials.
• Sizes available for most engine applications.
Percy's High Performance
In many cases, interior trim panels, dash boards, and other applications can be rendered in fiberglass. One drawback is that fiberglass can be tricky to work with. Mixing resins and catalysts to the proper ratios is required, and then you must work quickly to get your desired shape before the mixtures sets and hardens. Percy's High Performance now has HyperFiber, a composite construction system that's exceptionally user-friendly.
• HyperFiber has the fiber and resin combined in an un-cured state. The resin cures when exposed to UV light.
• Construct and shape your HyperFiber project out of the sun. Unlike conventional fiberglass, your working time with HyperFiber is nearly unlimited.
• When the final shape and configuration are reached, bring your HyperFiber project out into the sunlight to begin the curing and setting process. You can also use a Percy's UV light indoors to set and cure.
• HyperFiber is available with or without memory wires that hold your project in shape during construction.
• HyperFiber is non-flammable and contains no hazardous materials. It cleans up with soap and water; great for use in automotive, marine, car audio, or any other application that requires a composite be used.
Percy's High Performance
Finally a Fold-Down Tailgate
Tailgates are a time-honored trailside cooking location. Jeep YJ, TJ, TJ Unlimited/LJ, and JK Wrangler models have a swing-out tailgate. Swag Off Road has a fold-down conversion kit for these Jeeps.
• Swag's conversion kit comes with everything you need to perform the fold-down tailgate conversion.
• No cutting or welding is required.
Swag Off Road
Rugged Ridge Replacement Soft Tops Now Available
Soft tops don't last forever, so when your factory original has outlived its usefulness, a Rugged Ridge soft top is a great alternative to OEM.
• Available for 1988-2006 Jeep Wranglers.
• Constructed using vinyl-coated polyester.
• Your choice of clear or tinted windows.
• Designed as a direct replacement for the factory soft top.
• Zip-out windows.
• Factory-style belt rail mounting system.
• Two-year limited warranty.
• Multiple factory-matching colors.
• With or without soft upper door replacement skins.
Rugged Ridge, a division of Omix-Ada
Recon Pro Performance and Brute Force Winches
Recon winches combine reliability with fast line speed. With 10,500 (Pro Performance) and 17,500-pound (Brute Force) pulling capacities, there's a Recon winch to fit either your compact trail rig or your full-sized, hard-working pickup.
• Lifetime limited warranty.
• 28-feet-per-minute line speed.
• Three-stage planetary gear.
• Automatic, in-the-drum brake.
• Sliding-ring-gear type clutches.
• Both models are activated by wired remote controls.
• Pro Performance 10,500-pound model can also be controlled via wireless remote.
• Pro Performance model comes with synthetic line and an aluminum Hawse fairlead.
• Brute Force model comes with aircraft-grade steel line and a four-way roller fairlead.
Mild Height Done Right
ReadyLift suspension recognizes that many Jeepers drive their Jeeps on the street as well as in the dirt. This new lift system retains all the street friendliness that the JK Wrangler is known for, and adds the height needed to clear 35-inch tires.
• Achieves a guaranteed three-inch lift up front and a guaranteed two-inch lift in the rear.
• Spacers are used to add lift height.
• The spacers are constructed from powder-coated steel.
• High-quality OEM coils are retained.
• Shocks and bump stops are re-located via ReadyLift brackets. This retains the original suspension's travel numbers and ride quality.
• Rear track bar is re-located for correct geometry.
VIAIR Automatic Portable Compressors
Portable compressors offer unlimited air in the backcountry. VIAIR has two new portable compressors for your backcountry needs.
• Compressors start and stop automatically when moving from tire to tire during inflation.
• The 400P model offers fast 2.54 CFM tire filling at a 33-percent duty cycle.
• The 450P model offers a 100-percent duty cycle at 1.66 CFM.
• Both models are portable and self-contained: simply connect the included leads to the vehicle battery and you're ready to air up.
• Both models include a gas station-style inflation gun with a built-in pressure gauge.
• The 400P and 450P are mounted on heavy-duty sand trays for stability in the dirt.
• 150 PSI maximum working pressure gives a high capacity with either model.
• Heavy-duty storage bag included.
Limited Edition Mickey Thompson Classic II Wheels
The Classic II wheel from Mickey Thompson is one of our enduring favorites at 4WD&SU. Mickey Thompson is offering a one-time production run of its Classic II's in a painted and clear-coated finish.
• Only 640 sets will be made.
• Limited Edition includes black satin painted and clear-coated finish with a black Mickey Thompson logo center cap and an authentic Mickey Thompson signature badge.
• 15x8 and 15x10 sizes will be produced in a 5x4.5 Jeep bolt pattern.
• Available from select Mickey Thompson dealers.
Rough Country JK Brake Lines and Sway Bar Disconnects
Attention to small details is often what separates one Jeep from the next. Pay attention to the small stuff and you'll have a reliable rig that works well. Ignore the details and you won't get as far. Rough Country has two new JK accessories that will help get you there...and back.
• Front and rear brake lines are stainless steel and pressure-tested to 4,000 psi.
• Wrapped in Kevlar for exceptional protection.
• Brake lines are for 2007-2009 JK Wranglers with 4 to 6 inches of lift.
• Available separately as front or rear kits.
• Kits include lines, washers, and clips.
• Sway bar disconnects are adjustable to fit JK Wranglers from stock height up to a six-inch lift.
• Spherical ball joints offer a 90-degree range of motion.
• Disconnects require no tools to operate.
• Includes a frame bracket that secures the sway bar out of the way when not in use.
Rough Country Suspension
PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Light
This new PIAA light was designed by racers, but is well-suited to all types of off-roading. It is called the 520 ATP.
• PIAA's All-Terrain Pattern delivers an ideal combination of beam height, width, and distance.
• Uses PIAA's Xtreme White 85-watt halogen bulb, which produces brightness equivalent to a standard 135-watt bulb.
• Rugged stamped steel housing.
• Tough glass lens is protected by black mesh covers.
• Compact size at 6-1/4 inches in diameter and 2-11/16 inches deep.
• Swivel mounting bolt offers 90 degrees of adjustment range.
• Available as a single light or dual light kit, which includes lights, wiring harness, switch, relay, and mesh covers.
Advanced YJ Flow
Advanced Flow Engineering (aFe) now has a cat-back exhaust system for the '91-to-'95 4.0L-equipped YJ Wrangler. It's called the Mach Force-XP.
• Made from mandrel-bent 409 stainless steel.
• 3-inch diameter provides generous flow.
• Includes welded-on bayonet-style hangers for a system that stays put under high heat and high vibration.
• All hardware is included for easy installation.
• Muffler is a 4-inch straight-through style with an aggressive note and maximum flow.
• Designed to accommodate most aftermarket suspension systems.
Advanced Flow Engineering (aFe)
Dirt-Worthy Wheel Chocks
Wheel chocks are an essential companion to floor jacks, Hi-lift jacks, and winches. Wheel chocks keep the vehicle from rolling away at the wrong moment, ensuring safety when lifting the vehicle or when using the vehicle as a winch anchor point. Until now, rocks and logs were the most common backcountry wheel chocks, but this was always a makeshift solution. Off-Road Trail Tools has introduced the RMS Off-Road Wheel Chock.
• Rated at 7,000 pounds per axle set.
• Built-in grippers claw at the ground and at the tire for no-slip confidence.
• Fold flat for convenient storage.
• Non-rusting, and non-sparking.
• Stainless steel hardware.
• Can also be laid out flat and used as a traction device.
• Designed for today's off-road tire sizes.
• Made in the USA.
Off-Road Trail Tools
What is the Matrix?
4XGuard's new Matrix brush guard system is built for Jeep's '05-to-'09 WK Grand Cherokee. This is a system, not a one-component part.
• The Matrix system allows customers to upgrade as needs change.
• Compared to a typical aftermarket bumper system, the Matrix adds a minimal amount of weight.
• Up to eight accessory mounting locations are available. These can be used for off-road lights, D-rings, lift notches for a Hi-Lift jack, or a 2-inch hitch receiver for use with a portable winch.
• Configurations include Matrix Basic or Matrix HC (Hard Core).
• Add-ons include optional grille hoop/brush rail kit, optional receiver kit, accessory bow shackle (D-ring) kit, and accessory portable winch mount.
A Solid Way to Carry Your Jeep's Spare Tire
OR Fab's swing-away tire carrier was designed to securely carry your spare tire and extra fuel, leaving you with one less worry on the road and on the trail.
• Made in the USA from 1-1/2-inch, 0.120-wall steel tubing.
• Allows full access to the tail gate.
• Heavy-duty hinge.
• Lockable draw latch with 500-pound rating.
• Can hold up to a 35-inch tall tire.
• Space is available for two gas cans.
• Mounts for a Hi-Lift jack and a CB antenna are built in.
• Powder coated with either a smooth or wrinkled finish.
• Available for Jeep Wrangler JKs.
Rock Krawler WJ 3.5-inch Short-Arm System
Rock Krawler now has two new systems for the 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ. This time, we'll take a look at the short-arm system.
• The 3.5-inch Rock Krawler X-Factor short-arm system comes complete with coils and replacement control arms.
• Bolt-on installation.
• Fits up to 32X11.50-inch tires.
• Adjustable bump stops integrated into the front upper coil spring seat. The adjustable bump stops let you dial in the maximum amount of compression travel and still keep the tires out of the sheet metal.
• Rear riser plate retains proper pinion angle in the rear suspension.
• No drive line or exhaust modifications required.
Rock Krawler Suspension
Coverking: Protect Your Jeep Seats with a Perfect Fit
Seats in open-top Jeeps have a tough life because they've got to put up with the weather in addition to keeping you comfortable.
• Coverking neoprene Jeep seat covers are made using digital patterns for a precise, factory-like fit.
• Easy installation and precise fit for seats, armrests, headrests, console covers, and 40/20/40 split bench configurations.
• Available in a variety of color options.
• OEM-delivered features like map pockets, cut outs for controls, side impact airbag flaps and provisions for seats with integrated seat belts are all included in application-specific Coverking seat covers.
• Can be ordered with officially licensed Jeep logo or custom lettering.
• Available for most classic and current Jeep models.
Full-size Function, Pint-size Package
Have you ever had the need to refill or tune the nitrogen pressure in your shocks or bumpstops while out on the trail? Are you tired of lugging a large nitrogen cylinder in your vehicle or support truck? The Nitro Charger from Rubicon Express is a portable, lightweight solution that fits in your glove box.
• Nitro Charger comes complete and ready for use.
• Push-button valves provide precise nitrogen fill and bleed from 0 to 600 psi.
• Precision liquid-filled gauge gives accurate readings.
• No-loss connector prevents pressure change when detaching the hose.
• Includes two 95cc nitrogen bottles.
• Includes an adapter compatible with most gas/air sources including cylinders and air compressors.
• Packaged in a compact, protective carrying case.
Dave's Customs Unlimited Protects Your Diff
A smashed ring gear is inconvenient and expensive. Dave's Customs Unlimited offers bolt-on differential guards to prevent trail damage.
• Available for Dana 44, Dana 60, Dana 70, and GM 14-bolt axles.
• Machined from 3/4-inch steel with a 1/4-inch-thick skid plate.
• Countersunk bolt holes.
• Stainless Allen-head bolts are included.
• Black textured powder coated finish.
• Available with or without top mounting ear. Mounting ear can be used for axle trusses and suspension links.
Dave's Customs Unlimited
TeraFlex Heavy-Duty JK Drag Link
This new drag link kit is designed to solve several front end issues associated with lifted JK Wranglers.
• The new drag link is forged and is 50 percent stronger than the factory item.
• Threads into the factory adjusting sleeve.
• Designed to work with lifts over four inches.
• Kit includes a frame-mounted drop bracket for the track bar to keep correct steering geometry.
• Kit also includes a frame brace to reinforce frame and reduce shimmy and excess movement.
• New drag link is flipped over the knuckle and a new tapered insert is used to mount the drag link into the knuckle.
• Some welding required.