As you know, we use GPS when exploring the backcountry. Whether it's to leave a track log so we can find our way back, to find a point on a map, or to mark waypoints on a map, GPS has become a must-have. Communication is also important and GMRS has proven to be a powerful way to keep in touch. The Garmin Rino 530HCx has both in one compact, hand-held unit. This waterproof FRS/GMRS radio plus GPS navigator adds a barometric altimeter, electronic compass, and NOAA weather radio, in addition to the popular features of the Garmin Rino 520HCx: 5 watts of transmit power, a microSD card slot, brilliant color display, and a high-sensitivity GPS receiver.?>
With its high-sensitivity GPS receiver, Rino 530HCx locates our position quickly and precisely and it maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear - whether we're in red rock canyons, deep woods, or just near tall buildings, we can count on the Rino 530HCx to help us find our way.
Like the rest of the Garmin Rino series, Rino 530HCx offers a unique Position Reporting feature. Position Reporting lets you send your exact location to other Rino users in your group so that everyone can see your position on the map page. What a great way to keep in contact with our friends helping us in the middle and at the back of a trail ride we're leading! In addition, because the 530HCx is a standard FRS/GMRS radio, we can use it to communicate with any other conventional FRS/GMRS radio.?>
The Rino 530HCx boasts 5 watts of transmit power (GMRS), which lets us contact others from up to 14 miles away (line of sight). We've found that 5 to 8 miles is our max range in this area. In Canada, you can transmit at 2 watts over GMRS with a range of up to 8 kilometres (almost 5 miles).
Garmin Rino 530HCx features:
• Barometric altimeter pinpoints precise elevation
• Electronic compass works even when standing still
• Bold color TFT display makes it easy to see and navigate to family or friends in the backcountry, at an amusement park, lake, or other outdoor group activity
• The microSD card slot accepts preloaded Garmin MapSource data cards with detailed maps
• Automatic routing and turn-by-turn directions with alert tones let us find an address or point of interest and drive there (with optional MapSource map data)
• Rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 14 hours of outdoor use (we haven't run out of charge on even the longest days in the outback)
We'll be keeping you updated on how the Garmin Rino 530HCx continues to work for us.