There was a time when Jeeps and other trail rigs had little aftermarket support in the way of axle upgrades. The best and beefiest option back then was to find some Dana 60 axles at a salvage yard and either cut down the tubes or simply run them wide. When you snapped shafts or bent an axle tube, you ordered the same part that broke, straightened the tube, and put it all back together. These days, the options are numerous. We have high-strength front and rear axleshaft kits backed by multi-year warranties and heavy-duty, bolt-in axle assemblies that will seemingly never break, bend, or explode. You can now replace your broken or failure-prone parts with something substantially better without building a custom salvage yard Dana 60. Check out the following to read how.
Ballistic Fabrication has released its Performance Series Ford 9-inch axlehousing, featuring a bump formed X-plate design to help transfer and distribute forces evenly and allow for increased overall strength without sacrificing clearance or adding weight. The housing features 3.5-inch by 0.250-inch-wall axle tubes and is 65 inches long end-to-end. Construction of the housing features CNClaser cut and pressed 0.250-inch steel plate with an extra thick 0.375-inch faceplate.
- Final machining of the faceplate after welding ensures a perfectly flat seal surface and consistent ring gear location on every housing
- Mounting holes are drilled and tapped on a CNC mill after welding for accurate alignment every time
- Housing design uses two interlocking 0.250-inch internal gussets to add strength where it is most needed
Camburg Engineerings complete 3.50 Rear Race Series 9-inch axlehousing is CAD-designed and precision manufactured. It features 3.5-inch by 0.250-inch-wall 4130 axle tubes and a .188-inch center section with a .375-inch faceplate.
- Rear truss and internal webbing/gusseting provide additional strength to the housing
- A 1/8-inch steel lower skid/bash plate helps protect from damage
- Features a billet filler cap at the top of the housing. A vent fitting and drain plug are also in place
- Made in the USA
Currie Enterprises RockJock high-pinion 60 frontends include the 206-T6 aluminum center cast housing or the all-new IronJock nodular iron version. All units include heavy-duty, thick steel covers (aluminum covers with carrier cap stabilizers are optional), an AR400 heat-treated steel-bottom skidplate, and choice of yoke size/style. The rest of the frontend may be built up with any combination of the vast amount of optional equipment available through Currie, including axleshafts, gears, carriers, knuckles, hubs, and disc brakes.
- The SAE 206-T6 aluminum casting from Currie uses a flow-through circulating oil system exclusive to the Currie unit, and it is the first in the industry to feature a full 60-degree cover angle
- Features equal diameter large front and rear pinion bearings, optional 3-inch by 0.3125-inch-wall or a 3-inch by 0.375-inch-wall tubing on complete housings, and the ability to accept either stock or aftermarket diff covers
- Upper bracketry mounting bridge is available
Offered for Toyota or Ford 9-inch-based front and rear axle applications, Diamond Axles are precision CNClaser cut, formed, and machined. The third-member mounting flange is made from 1/2-inch plate and the housing is CNC-formed from one piece of 1/4-inch steel. All of Diamond Axles fabricated housings are fully welded inside and out and feature an internal brace that is fully welded to both the axle tube and center section cover.
- Housings are cut and formed to wrap tightly around the ring gear and other case features to offer maximum ground clearance
- Axle tubes are available in 3-, 3.125-, 3.25-, and 3.5-inch diameters and in 0.250-, 0.375-, and 0.50-inch-wall thickness
- Front housings are available to fit Toyota 8-inch, 8.4-inch, and 9.5-inch centers and Ford 9-inch centers and can be equipped with Toyota (Birfield-based), Dana 44 ball joint, or Dana 60 kingpin outers
- Rear housings can be equipped with Ford big bearing semi-float, Toyota semi-float, or Toyota-based or Dana-based full-float housing ends
The ProRock 44 from Dynatrac is a high-pinion Dana 44 replacement housing designed to capitalize on the advantages of the stronger Next Generation Dana 44 ring and pinion found in Jeep Wrangler JKs. Each housing includes Dynatracs new Pro44 end forgings, which are much stronger than stock and will maintain proper wheel camber even under severe use.
- Applications are available for Jeep Wrangler JK, TJ, YJ, XJ, and more
- Dynatracs American-made quality and warranty is standard equipment on all ProRock 44 housings and assemblies
- Features 3-inch-diameter axle tubes
- Extreme-duty, steel suspension brackets are 50 percent thicker and much stronger than stock brackets. All are computer-designed and CNC-manufactured in the USA
- Available as a fully built crate assembly or bare housing
G2 Axle & Gear
G2 Axle & Gear offers complete front and rear bolt-in Dana 44 axle assemblies for Jeep Wrangler TJs and Cherokee XJs. The units are assembled with all-new components and each assembly comes with chromoly axleshafts, Dana Spicer U-joints, Dana Spicer ball joints, Timken bearings, National seals, and a choice of gear ratio and locker.
- The front housings are designed to accept the stock TJ or XJ Dana 30 knuckles, hub bearings, and disc brakes
- Front assemblies feature 30-spline 4340 chromoly axles and Dana Spicer 5-760X U-joints and can be ordered with your choice of a locker and gear ratio
- Each unit includes a heavy-duty G2 differential cover
- Rear Dana 44 axles reuse the factory rear brake assembly or can be upgraded to disc brakes for superior braking performance
Based on the well-known and common GM 10.5-inch 14-bolt, the Super-14 from Torq Motorsports is said to be 20 percent lighter and 35 percent stronger compared to an aftermarket Dana 60. The Super-14 features an aluminum drop-in third-member gearcase coupled with a fabricated steel axlehousing. It is designed to accept the standard GM 10.5-inch 14-bolt gears, axleshafts, and differential carrier/locker.
- Housing features 3.5-inch by 0.250-inch-wall axle tubes and a 3/8-inch-thick machined faceplate
- Said to be as strong as a Dana 80 with the weight of a Ford 9-inch
- Made in the USA
- Available as a builder kit or complete crate axle
The all-new Spider 9 axlehousing from Spidertrax is the product of more than three years of hard engineering and real-world testing. With rock crawling specifically in mind, this housing is nothing like your ordinary 9-inch housing. With ultra-high ground clearance, a one-piece shell construction, and compact size, this 9-inch housing was built ground-up specifically for rock crawling. Third-member mounting hardware and filler cap assembly are included.
- Designed to work with centered and most all pinion offsets
- At 65 inches in length, the Spider 9 housing tubes can be cut down to fit most all front and rear trail rig applications
- Formed from a single piece of 1/4-inch-thick steel and welded both inside and out for added protection
- Mounting faceplate is CNC-machined from 3/8-inch-thick material to provide superior strength and higher oil sealing accuracy
- Features 3-1/2-inch by 1/4-inch-wall housing tubes. Also available with 3-inch by 1/4-inch-wall, 3-inch by 3/8-inch-wall, and 3-1/2-inch by 1/4-inch-wall
TeraFlex offers its Tera30, Tera44, and Tera CRD60 axlehousings for Jeep TJs and JKs as well as some custom applications. The Tera30 is the latest addition and is a great option for non-Rubicon JK owners who can simply transfer your existing Dana 30 internal components, outer knuckle assembly, and brakes to the new housing.
- Replacement housing kits include a heavy-duty Tera30 or Tera44 housing, tubes, inner seals, axle bracketry, and outer knuckles
- A great solution for bent, broken, or damaged front housings in JK Wranglers
- The Tera CRD60 housing features a contoured bottom to provide maximum ground clearance that is unaffected by pinion angle. It also includes reinforced bearing caps to virtually eliminate all flex and distortion
a href="http://www.teraflex.biz/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">www.teraflex.biz
The Trail-Gear fully built front and rear Rock Assault Toyota axles are made entirely of brand-new and upgraded components, not refurbished junkyard parts. Rock Assault housings are said to provide unparalleled strength due to the 5/16-inch-thick DOM axle tubes that engage further into the center section and the 360-degree gusset welded around the tubes on the inside of the housing. The positions of the axle tubes and center section design have been specially engineered to allow for additional ground clearance.
- Front axles include upgraded 30-spline Birfields and chromoly axleshafts, Trail-Gears fully loaded Six Shooter knuckle kit, chromoly spindles, upgraded brake rotors and calipers, and heavy-duty tie rod and draglink
- Front units also include Trail-Gears upgraded Trail Safe Seals and Super Metal Knuckle Studs, in addition to all other necessary nuts, bolts, and seals
- Options include the choice of axle width and offset, differential, hubs or flanges, and whether to include an optional Trunnion Bearing Eliminator kit
- Rear assemblies include Trail-Gears complete rear disc brake kit, chromoly axleshafts, bearing pockets, rear axle bearing service kit, and all the necessary nuts and studs
The Sixty9 from JRAT Offroad is a revolutionary design combining the dropout convenience of a Ford 9-inch with the strength of a Dana 60. Designed for everyone from the top racing buggies to the everyday trail rig, the Sixty9 offers the option of being able to run in low-pinion or high-pinion, and can even be run upside down if needed for mid-engine buggy applications. Everything is precision-machined and the bearing caps are key fit.
- The Sixty9 third member includes one main body, one pinion support, two bearing caps, two 954 bronze side adjusters, two adjuster locks, 14 3/8-inch fine thread Grade 8 housing bolts, eight 3/8-inch Grade 8 pinion support bolts, two adjuster lock bolts, and four 1/2-inch Grade 8 bearing cap bolts
Alloy USA offers front and rear high-tensilestrength 4340 chromoly axle kits for many applications, including 2007-to-2012 Jeep Wrangler JKs with Dana 30 or Dana 44 front axles. The axleshafts are heat-treated, tempered, and induction-hardened and are said to be up to 40 percent stronger than stock 1040 axles.
- Axleshafts use the latest splining technology to produce splines that are stronger than traditional cut splines
- Precision CNC-machined and Magnaflux-inspected for cracks before receiving a slick black anodized finish
- Each axleshaft is backed by Alloy USAs exclusive 10-year warranty
- Front axleshaft kits include everything you need to complete the jobboth passenger- and drive-side inner and outer axleshafts, seals, U-joints, and clips
Longfield Super Axles
Made from 4340 chromoly and 300M material, Longfield Super Axles allow up to 40 degrees of turning radius and have a consistent breaking point of 8,900 to 9,000 lb-ft of torque. Kits include two Birfields and two inner axles.
- Fits stock Toyota axlehousings
- Available for 1979-to-1985 Toyota pickups and 4Runners and 1976-and-up Land Cruisers and FJ60s
- Features 30-spline axleshafts
- Made in the USA
(360) 893-0235, www.longfieldsuperaxles.com
Nitro Gear & Axle
Nitro Gear & Axle offers 30- and 35-spline 4130 chromoly rear axle kits for 2007-to-2010 Jeep Wrangler JKs. Kits are designed for both Rubicon and non-Rubicon Dana 44 rear axles and include new bearings, seals, ABS tone rings, retainer plates, and wheel studs pre-installed.
- Axles are manufactured from with extra-deep heat treating for 40 to 50 percent added strength over stock axles
- Precision-machined for excellent fitment
- Includes a five-year unlimited-milage warranty
- Kits use set 10 bearings and are available in 5x4.5, 5x5, and 5x5.5 wheel bolt patterns
- Nitro Gear & Axle also offers high-strength front-axle kits for Jeep Wrangler JKs
Ultimate CV axles from RCV Performance are designed to easily replace U-joint front axleshafts and have been tested to be twice as strong as original-equipment axles. RCVs constant velocity design eliminates U-joint binding to allow smooth power transfer to the ground while eradicating steering wheel shimmy. Additionally, the companys patented Spherical Sealing Technology provides much greater resistance to punctures and tears than a rubber CV boot.
- Backed with a no-questions-asked limited lifetime warranty
- Available for Dana 30, 44, and 60, as well as GM and AAM applications. Custom configurations are also available
- Housing, bearing cage, inner-race, and axleshaft are manufactured with aircraft-quality high-alloy steel. Proprietary construction techniques make the axles highly resistant to bursting and fracture
- Design allows tight steering angles up to 45 degrees and high strength throughout range of motion
Superior Axle & Gear
The Super 30 kit from Superior Axle & Gear is designed to replace the failure-prone 27-spline axleshafts in Jeep TJ and XJ Dana 30 front axles with heavy-duty 30-spline units. The Super 30 kit includes left and right inner and outer axleshafts, two Dana Spicer U-joints, full circle C-clips, and seals.
- Axleshafts are manufactured from premium 4340-chromoly alloy and feature rolled-in splines and a black oxide coating
- Available for the 1997-and-up Jeep Wrangler TJ and Cherokee XJ
- Includes a 10-year replacement warranty
Trail-Gears Dirty 30 30-spline Birfield/axle kit replaces the stock Toyota 27-spline Birfields, which are prone to failure, with much beefier components. Dirty 30s are made out of 100 percent chromoly and are precision-polished to remove any imperfections that may cause stress risers. Kits include two Dirty 30 Birfields, two axleshafts, and two C-clips.
- Ball bearings are manufactured out of the highest available quality chrome steel
- Made in the USA
- Kits are available for the Toyota pickup/4Runner, FJ40, and FJ60
- Includes no-questions-asked lifetime warranty
G2 Axle & Gear
G2 Axle & Gear recently introduced its new Placer Gold Axles for front and rear Jeep Wrangler JK applications. The front axles feature a larger yoke that accepts the 1350-style U-joint found in Rubicon models. Forged from 4340-chromoly, the front axles are also heat-treated to handle extreme loads without failure. The front Dana 44 axleshafts are 35-spline and measure 1.5 inches in diameter. Front axle kits come fully assembled with Dana Spicer U-joints and full-circle clips.
- Front axles feature a dual bolt pattern to accept both 5-on-5 and 5-on-5.5 wheels
- Placer Gold rear axles are forged from 4140-chromoly steel and are precision-machined and heat-treated to withstand greater loads
- Rear axle kits are 35-spline and include Timken wheel bearings, seals, and screw-in wheel studs
- Made in the USA and backed by a 25-year warranty