Once we had it cleaned off, we pulled it apart and poked around. By the ridges formed in the walls of the cylinder, it was obvious this engine had seen some use. We were originally just going to hand-lap the valves, but amid concerns for non-hardened valve seats and to get the valves to flow a bit more, we took the heads to our local machine shop to have a three-angle valve job done and hardened valve seats installed to deal with today’s fuel. We’re trying to rebuild on a budget and five-angle valves and seats just weren’t in it. We had some slop in the valveguides, but all of them were under 0.005-inch. The maximum accepted value is 0.0032-inch, but we were keeping costs down so we decided to just run it. It really wasn’t that bad.