Editor’s Note: Submit your dirt to firstname.lastname@example.org
Robby Gordon Brings Back Stadium Racing
We’ve missed it ever since Mickey Thompson Stadium Racing went away. So has Robby Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Casey Mears, and millions of other fans and racers alike. Well Gordon did something about it. On May 29, 2012, he gathered a number of journalists and interested parties into the Los Angeles Coliseum to make an announcement of the stadium trucks’ return in the Stadium Super Trucks series in 2013—25 years after Mickey Thompson’s tragic death.
Before his speech, Gordon (in his stadium race truck) repeatedly matched Bigfoot, jump for jump, in and out of the L.A. Coliseum.
The new stadium trucks will be short-wheelbase single-cab trucks with 600-horsepower V-8 engines, 20 inches of wheel travel, and everyone will race on DOT-approved tires.
The two-day SST event will not only have stadium racing, but also side-by-side racing and monster trucks heats. The first event of the series will be in April 2013 at the Los Angeles Coliseum—one of six venues for next year. Big purses are to be expected as well: $60,000 nightly purse, and a $500,000 purse for overall series champion!
Baja 500 Results
Score Trophy Truck
(Unlimited Production Trucks)
1. B.J. Baldwin, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, 9 hours, 10 minutes, 47 seconds (48.06 miles per hour)
2. Mark Post, Laguna Beach, Calif./Rob MacCachren, Las Vegas, Nevada, Ford F-150, 9:10:54
3. Brian Collins, Las Vegas/Chuck Hovey, Escondido, Calif., Dodge Ram 1500, 9:25:47
(Unlimited Single or Two-Seaters)
1. Luis Ramirez Jr., /Juan Araiza/Luis Ramirez, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, HMS-Chevy, 9:36:55
2. Dale Ebberts, Wilton, Calif./Brad Etter, Villa Park, Calif., Porter-Chevy, 10:00:34
3. Armin Schwarz, Germany/Martin Christensen, Escondido, CA, Jimco-BMW, 10:08:00
(Short Wheelbase 4x4)
1. Donald Moss, Sacramento, CA/Ken Moss, Marysville, CA, Ford Bronco, 15:12:08 (29.02mph).
1. Dan Chamlee/Tom Chamlee, Carpenteria, CA, Ford Ranger, 12:43:33 (34.67 mph)
2. Aaron Celiceo/Stephanie Celiceo, San Diego/Adrian Celiceo, San Ysidro, CA, Toyota Tacoma, 18:50:35
3. Guillermo Galvan/Ricardo Galvan, Ensenada, Mexico, Ford Ranger, 19:30:57
(Modified, Open Mini-Trucks)
1. Heidi Steele, San Clemente, Calif./Rene Burger, Chula Vista, CA, Ford Ranger, 14:31:30 (30.37mph)
2. John Holmes, Olivenhain, CA/Mark Landersman, Temecula, CA, Ford Ranger, 14:36:26
3. Noe Sierra, San Bernardino, CA/Tony Sierra/Johnathan Sierra, Fontana, CA, Ford Ranger, 14:46:34
(Fullsized Two-Wheel-Drive Trucks)
1. Noah Ostanik, Encinitas, CA, Ford F-150, 16:25:51
(Stock VW Sedans)
1. Ramon Fernandez/Thomas Fernandez/Rogelio Robles, Ensenada, Mexico, 16:13:30 (27.19mph)
2. Cisco Bio/Pancho Bio, Spring Valley, Calif./Jorge Martinez, Los Angeles, CA, 18:40:19
3. Carlos Villa/Rafael Villa/Saul Trevino, Ensenada, Mexico, 19:35:20
Stock Fullsized Trucks
1. Chad Hall, Reno, NV, Hummer H3Alpha, 13:09:53 (33.51mph)
2. Clyde Stacy, Bristol, VA/Justin Matney, Bristol, TN/William Aylor, Union, KY, Dodge Ram2500, 19:35:40
1. Rod Hall, Reno, Nev., Hummer H3, 14:42:54 (29.98mph)
2. Gavin Skilton, Orange, CA./Kevin Jensen, Apple Valley, CA, Honda Ridgeline, 16:32:55
3. Kevin Necessary, Long Beach, CA/Russell Stoddard, Lakewood, CA, Toyota FJ Cruiser, 18:24:53
(Limited Production Trucks)
1. Jason Voss/Rich Voss, Cupertino, CA, Ford F-150, 11:35:10 (38.08 mph)
2. Dave Creagan\/Chris Creagan, Woodland, Wash./Brian Coats, Los Alamitos, CA, Chevy Silverado, 11:45:20
3. Ken Losch, Tempe, AZ/Rob Martensen, Phoenix/Steve Stroud, Gooding, ID, Ford F-150, 15:27:37