Subscribe to a magazine

1990 Chevy Suburban 4x4 & 1978 Ford F150 - Nuts & Bolts

David Kennedy
| Contributor
Posted December 1, 2001

The Right Way to Mount a Steering StabilizerI have a spring-over suspension on my '81 CJ-5, which has quite a bit of bumpsteer. My drag link is angled about 15 degrees, so I'm going to purchase a dropped pitman arm to help reduce the angle. At the same time I want to mount a steering stabilizer. I have seen steering stabilizers on other Jeeps either mounted to the drag link or the tie rod. Which is preferred and why?Shannon Tefftby e-mail

We'd prefer you mount it on the tie-rod. It will do a better job of absorbing energy from the tires (and protecting the steering box) the closer it is to the source of the road shock. Some people choose to mount the stabilizer on the drag link because they either lack the space to mount it on the tie-rod or they think it will be less likely to get bashed on rocks there. We are getting in the habit of not running them at all, but that is mostly personal preference (OK, we're cheap too)! Either way it is not going to fix your bumpsteer, so focus on getting the dropped pitman arm before you even worry about where to mount the stabilizer.

Your Source for Secret GM Tech Info
In "101 Chevrolet Engine Upgrades" (Sept. '01), you list a book called GM Fuel Injection Diagnosis. Where can I get a copy of this book? I really need this book, as all my reference material says not to start the engine with terminals B and A shorted together!Herman A. NewmanBethune, SC

When you want the best insider info on all things GM you can go right to the source and order all kinds of GM training material right from GM. Call 800/393-4831 and ask for their free catalog. The GM Fuel Injection Diagnosis book is PN 16009.10-6.

Digital Speedo Fix
I have a '90 Chevy Suburban 4x4 with a 4-inch lift kit and 33x12.50-15 Cooper tires, and the front and rear gear ratios are 4.11s. I would like to know what I need to do to get the speedometer to read accurately.Steve AustinAromas, CA

The year 1990 marks GM's conversion to electronic speedometers in its fullsize line of trucks. The NP241 transfer case in your Sub has a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) instead of a physical cable to relay road speed to your speedometer. Take a trip down to your local GM parts department to ask them for the speedometer calibration chip that plugs in to the back of your speedometer.

Detroit Diesel Powered Ford
I bought a new military surplus GM 6.2L diesel for $300. I need help figuring out how to put a NV4500 and a transfer case behind it and slam it all into my '78 Ford F-150. I have a Ford NP205, but like the low-range gearing options I can get for the '78 International Dana 20, or International Dana 300 transfer cases that I also have. Where do I go? What do I do? Buy a new front axle? Buy yet another transfer case? Get a new hobby? Get a new life? I am cheap and would like to use what I have. Please help!Robert BowenDawsonville, GA

We think you're too cheap for this, but here goes! Your transfer case choice is simple: Use the NP205 and sell the other two cases to help finance the rest of this conversion. You'll have all the torque and gear reduction you will want with your engine and transmission choice anyway. So let's concentrate on the really tough part of your swap, and that's going to be getting the 6.2L diesel to run and bolt into your F-150.

Load More Read Full Article