The Latest Jeep Related news
Jeep News & Rumors
• Jeep Australia put a pic of a girl in a Jeep wearing a shirt that read “I love Marine boys” and a bikini bottom on its Facebook page. Jeep Australia then removed a pic of a girl in a Jeep wearing a shirt that read “I love Marine boys” and a bikini bottom on its Facebook page. Jeep Australia quickly deleted it after users complained it was sexist. Otherwise, we’d of course have posted it for you to enjoy.
• Fiat’s plants in Italy will go through a redo in order to be able to export Jeeps and other brands, not just Fiats. For ages now, the plants haven’t been building all they’re capable of handling.
• And Fiat still intends to build a downsize Jeep no one else has ever seen before, available for both the U.S. and Europe.
• The Wrangler was named “Hottest 4x4-SUV” at the ’12 SEMA Show. It’s “hot” because it’s considered a model with a good platform for accessories and other aftermarket products, not because it was set aflame.
• No pressure, but if the diesel Grand doesn’t sell well, it might mean death to diesel for all American Jeeps.
• Jeep recall: close to 800,000 ’02-’04 Grands and ’02-’03 Libertys for “inadvertent airbag and/or pretensioner deployment.”
Quote Without Story
“Now that the election is over, watch Chrysler ship Jeep production to China—my prediction.”
—Donald Trump via Twitter
“You are full of shit!”
—Ralph Gilles, VP product design at Chrysler and CEO SRT and SRT Motorsport, responding via Twitter
• The Chrysler Trenton Engine Plant scored a tax abatement from Trenton, Michigan, to bump up production and expand the plant. It would build even more Pentastar V-6s and Tigershark inline-fours.
• And there’s so much demand for the ’13 Ram, the Warren Truck Plant is increasing shifts.
• In 2012, Chrysler had its best October sales since 2007.
• Collector Car Appreciation Day: The fourth annual one will happen July 12, 2013. It’s a fest that fests auto restoration and collection.
• The SCORE Baja is 45 years old.
• Interested in becoming a Stay The Trail Ambassador in Colorado? It’s a volunteer program that promotes proper OHV use and teaches trail ethics. More info is at staythetrailambassadors.org and staythetrail.org.
• GM and Disney are taking Walt Disney World Resort visitors behind the scenes of automotive design. The Test Track in Florida’s Epcot will allow people to create their own designs, explore the design process, and get virtual and stuff. They can also test drive the vehicle they designed on track surfaces and also race it over extreme and ever-changing terrain, as well as much more.
• Ozan K. Tonguz, a telecommunications researcher at Carnegie Mellon, is on the cusp of solving our problems with traffic—through his studies of how bees and ants avoid gridlock.
• Paul McCartney’s (or at least once owned by him) ’64 Aston Martin sold for $496,613 at the RM Auctions auction in London.
• The HondaJet: It’s in production.
Jeep Patriot Freedom Edition
The Wrangler Freedom Edition now has a compatriot—the Patriot Freedom Edition. It’s available in, naturally, red, white, or blue, and has a military-themed star on the hood and “Oscar Mike” badging. Otherwise you’re pretty much looking at the same standard features found on the Latitude model. It starts at $21,445, and Jeep will donate $250 from each sale to charities benefiting U.S. military members.
PhotosView Photo Gallery
Department of Corrections
Thanks to a last-minute snafu, we mistakenly omitted the contact info for Gale Banks Engineering from “More Air,” (Jan ’13). In that story we covered the installation of the company’s Ram-Air Intake System on an ’07 Wrangler with a 3.8L and told you how it bumped fuel mileage by 1.25 mpg and allowed the Jeep to chirp the tires from a stop. And since we’ve got the opportunity, here’s a shot of the company’s new Ram-Air Intake System for ’12-up Wranglers with the 3.6L Pentastar engine.
Contact: Gale Banks Engineering, 866/602-4307, bankspower.com/ra2
Reader Quote Without Story*
*As seen on Jp’s Facebook page