Yesterday was a good day in the garage. Well, not so much a day as a couple hours stolen away from the computer and editorial duties. I love it when I feel like I get a lot accomplished in a short amount of time. I started off by moving some stuff around in my garage so I won't have to spend 20 minutes before each wrenching session...well...moving stuff around. Then I pulled my '53 flattie out into the driveway for some extra working room and decided before I pulled the steering gear and column I'd replace the wasted motor mounts. I think there's some bent stuff in theis vehicle and the new mounts didn't exactly want to drop right in place, but I finally got the engine bolted securely to the chassis for the first time in who-knows-how-long. I have a new tranny and T-case mount, but those can wait for another day. Then I pulled the floor, disconnected the pitman arm from the drag link, and removed the column adn steering gear as an assembly. It lifts right out once you have the floor pulled. My camera batteries died right after I got the column out, but before I knocked off the garage work for the day I was able to de-crud almost 60 years worth of accumulated grease and dirt that was caked to the outside of the steering gear. If I get some time later today I'm gonna start pulling the column and gear apart for the rebuild. My tie-rod end is on back order, so I'm not in a big rush. It'll be a bit before it's able to be driven onthe road, but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting a bit brighter.
PHOTO GALLERY (3)