Jeep News & Rumors
• Ward’s named the 3.0L EcoDiesel one of the best engines for 2015.
• Hellcat Grand Cherokee SRT? The Dodge Challenger Hellcat is worth 707 horses with a supercharged 6.2L Hemi.
• Jeep sales were up 44 percent in 2014.
• Is the all-new Wrangler going to have an all-old exterior? As in, no appearance redo?
• The Rolling Stones signed a ’14 Renegade for charity. It was the Official Car of the ’14 on Fire’ Rolling Stones European tour. It’s estimated at $40,000.
• People are asking whether Mercedes-Benz’s G63 AMG 6x6 is a Wrangler fighter.
• Over at fstoppers.com, we noticed that Jeep had teamed up with some Instagram photographers to snap the Grand Cherokee, including Ravi Vora.
• A favorite headline, courtesy of The Toledo Blade: “Council OKs buying land to woo Jeep.” The Toledo Council had voted to buy land near the Toledo Assembly complex in an effort to keep Wrangler production there.
• SnugTop turned 55 years old in 2014. So, yeah, that means 56 this year. But we missed the double nickels nod.
• Michelin has opened a new plant in North America, which will be dedicated to the X Tweel—an airless radial tire. It’ll be for commercial applications (for now?) and is a non-pneumatic tire that makes the wheel and tire one unit.
• Check out vintagewheels.com. It’s a new shopping site, and as the name implies, you’ll find classic vehicles, be it off-road, muscle cars, “hipster,” or others. It’s free to join.
• Lund International bought Rampage Products, which makes soft tops, bumpers, and other accessories.
• Weld has expanded its Rekon off-road line of wheels.
• AAM has a rebate going on through March 31. It applies to its 8.6-inch gearsets for axle ratios of 3.73, 3.42, and 4.10. Learn more at demandaam.com.
Quote without Story
“But improperly inflated and low-efficiency tires can drag down even the most fuel-efficient car out there—and poor tire maintenance is a serious safety concern. That’s why today the Obama administration is announcing a new collaboration with companies like Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental Tire, ExxonMobil, and BP to launch Tire Safety Awareness Month, to educate consumers about common-sense ways to save money, increase efficiency, and protect drivers through improved tire maintenance.”
—Statement from the White House in December
Twitter and Instagram Watch
• Just in case you need to know: There’s a global voluntary recall of around 66,000 pickups with manual transmissions. The clutch ignition interlock switch recall affects some ’06-’07 Dodge Dakotas and Ram 1500s, 2500s, and 3500s, and Mitsubishi Raiders. Call 800/853-1403 for details.
• Seems Paris and London are ditching diesel fuel/vehicles.
• Speaking of diesel fuel, Boeing did a test flight using green diesel, a hybrid jet fuel.
• Into things Bobcat? There’s a blog now: blog.bobcat.com. You’ll find info about products and the Bobcat lifestyle. Yes, there’s a lifestyle.
• A New Zealand couple got locked in their car for about 13 hours due to having a keyless vehicle. When they were found, according to the Otago Daily Times, she was unconscious and he was having trouble breathing. According to Otago, the husband said, “Once I found out how simple it was to unlock it, I kicked myself that I did not find the way out…,” and it reported. “He now knew the manual lock was the same as the inside door handle on many other vehicles.”
• Fail: South Dakota’s safe-driving campaign called “Don’t Jerk and Drive.” It has since been yanked.
• Iowa seems to be working on digital driver’s licenses that would be functional via our smartphones.
• eCall is a big-time initiative in Europe. If a vehicle crashes, it alerts the nearest emergency call center. The European Commission hopes for the mandatory service to be implemented in all vehicles in the European Union by 2018. It’s similar in concept to OnStar.
• State Farm has a mobile app called CarCapture. It utilizes object recognition technology to snap a pic of the back of a vehicle and immediately grab detailed info. It’s for car buying, not stalking.
• Kelley Blue Book named the ’15 Ford F-150 the Overall Best Buy of 2015 in its Best Buy awards.
New Name for Chrysler
Update your contacts. Chrysler now goes by FCA US (as in Fiat Chrysler Automobiles). The parent company became FCA in October 2014. The company’s sales shot up 16 percent last year.
Reader Quote Without Story*
*As seen on Jp’s Facebook page
Quote without Story 2
“To improve the quality of life in Detroit, we need all of the residents to feel safe here. We want people to come do business in Detroit. We want visitors to come to Detroit. And if people are fearful of carjackers, then that’s not going to happen.”
—U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade to the Detroit Free Press. Accounting in 2014 (up to November 17) revealed 485 carjackings, more than one per day—although that’s down 31 percent from 2013
And the most Popular Vehicle color is…
PPG’s annual survey of global color popularity revealed white was the winner in 2014, followed by black, then silver/gray.
How to get in Jp Magazine
Help us put together our Sideways department! Send this:
Jeep Chix: A girl and a Jeep. There must be consent between the girl and the Jeep, as well as with you having the photos to send to us. Tell us who she is, what the Jeep is, and what else we should know.
Stuck/Flopped/Rolled: Send a pic and the story behind what went wrong.
Vintage and Military Jeeps: Cool old photo of your family vacation that went down in a Jeep? A relative in service with a Jeep? Send the pic and the backstory.
In addition to the words, here are the photo requirements:
• Maximum-quality JPEG, BMP, or TIFF file.
• No less than 1,600 by 1,200 pixels (about 2 megapixels).
• No PDFs or other formats. We just can’t use them in the magazine.
• Email the materials to email@example.com with the subject line: Sideways.
Where the Jeeps Are
Have an event? Let us know! Remember, the magazine needs about four months of notice. Tell us about it so we can help put the word out. And be sure to follow these steps:
• Name of event:
• Date(s) of event:
• City/State of event:
• Venue for event:
• Website for readers to learn more about your event:
• Why your event is cool in five words or less:
• Have a high-resolution photo from a previous event? Feel free to send it to us and we might just include it.
• Send the info and photo to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Make your subject line: Where the Jeeps Are
March 6-8: Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari/4 Wheel 2 Heal Event
Southern California, Truckhaven Hills area/North Ocotillo Wells SVRA, tds4x4.com. This is the 53rd time for this event.
April 4-6: Baja Pole Line Run, outside of Mexicali
Baja California, Mexico, Mexicali Desert-west of Ejido Jose Saldana, justruns.com. There’s a 73-year-old cobblestone trail