Steering and Brake Systems Product GuidePosted in Product Reviews on October 1, 2012 0) (
Looking to swap in a new brake or steering system? Or maybe just want to upgrade your existing setup? Multiple manufacturers have what you are looking for and we've compiled a selection of some of the best right here. Check out the following steering and brake conversions and upgrades – one or more are likely good candidates for installation on your 4x4.
The AEV High Steer kit for Jeep Wrangler JKs provides significant improvements to steering precision and handling by correcting the roll center height of the front suspension.
- Bringing the steering geometry back into factory alignment reduces body roll and bump steer
- The kit includes a flipped draglink to improve ground clearance as well as a heavy-duty steering damper
AGR Rock Ram steering systems are available for many popular applications. The Ram cylinder serves as an added assist to the gearbox and as a powered steering stabilizer, eliminating the need for a conventional steering stabilizer.
- Available for Chevy, Ford, Dodge, GMC, Toyota, Jeep, and Hummer applications
- Provides easy steering even with 44-inch tires
- Complete kit includes all hardware and detailed installation instructions
Alloy USA's slotted and drilled brake rotors improve braking performance right out of the box. By maximizing cooling these rotors improve brake pad bite and reduce brake fade.
- Alloy USA's rotors have improvements to handle more heat, which can be caused by the additional weight of modifications, like larger tires
Borgeson now offers complete power steering upgrade kits for the 1994-to-2002 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel trucks. These kits include the heavy duty Borgeson Dodge Box power steering box, Borgeson Hi-Flow power steering pump, and new OEM-style power steering hoses.
- Kits are available with or without the Borgeson heavy-duty steering shaft
- Upgrade kits range in price from $669 to $993
For more information, contact:
When upgrading from drum to disc brakes on your FJ40 Land Cruiser you will need to upgrade the brake booster and master cylinder. BTB Products has put together a kit to complete your four-wheel disc brake conversion and improve your potential braking performance.
- Each kit includes an 8-inch dual-diaphragm booster, a heavy-duty 1-1/8-inch-bore master cylinder, and a proportioning valve
- Brakeline fittings and lines from the master to prop valve, along with mounting brackets, adjustable rod, and clevis assembly are included.
Classic Tube offers direct replacement stainless steel brake line kits for many Jeep models. Complete kits are available for the 1989-to-2006 Jeep Wrangler (with or without ABS), 1963-to-1983 CJ5, and 1976-to-1986 CJ7.
- All Classic Tube hard lines are pressure tested and meet or exceed DOT requirements
- Classic Tube also offers bulk tubing, bending tools, flaring tools, and more for the do-it-yourselfer
- Custom tubing can be created from your supplied pattern
Collins Bros. Jeep
Collins Bros. Jeep offers its Black Mountain CJ Power Brake Conversion kit for 1976-to-1986 Jeep CJ models. The kit converts the CJ to use more efficient power brakes for improved stopping power.
- Includes mounting brackets, linkage, a new brake booster, a new master cylinder, and necessary rubber vacuum hoses
- Collin Bros. Jeep also offers a wide variety of brake and steering system parts for many Jeep applications
Collins Bros Jeep
The Currie Currectlync Heavy-Duty Tie-Rod and Drag Link System is now available for Jeep JK Wranglers. The Currectlync system features 1 5/8-inch-diameter 4130 chromoly heat-treated steel tie-rod and drag link tubes and 1 1/4-inch-thread forged steel greasable tie-rod ends, as well as a new steering stabilizer shock bracket and U-bolt kit.
- Currectlync systems are also available for Jeep TJ and XJ
- Direct replacement for the stock steering parts
- Made in the USA
Dave's Custom Unlimited
Dave's Customs Unlimited offers its Rear Disc Brake Conversion Bracket kits for Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44 rear axles, GM 14-bolt rear axles, and various Dana 60 and Ford 9-inch rearends.
- All brackets are laser cut from heavy duty 1/4- or 3/8-inch HRP&O steel
- Kits do not include calipers or rotors, but new calipers are available for some applications
Dave's Customs Unlimited (602) 639-1213
The heavy-duty EBC Brakes Greenstuff brake pad formulation has slightly lower friction than its 2000 series counterpart but has the benefit of longer life and better resistance to off-road conditions. It has an extremely low rotor wear factor and medium-to-good lifetime.
- Greenstuff 6000 Series brake pads are an entry-level truck and SUV upgrade offering up to 15-percent improvement in stopping power
- Greenstuff 7000 series brake pads are designed to reduce dust and last slightly longer than the 6000 series
You can revitalize your 2000-to-2006 Toyota Tundra and 2001-to-2007 Sequoia steering rack with Energy Suspension's HYPER-FLEX polyurethane rack and pinion bushings. This is a cost effective alternative to replacing the complete steering rack.
- Designed to tighten up the handling and maintain the vehicles proper alignment while providing consistent control both on and off-road.
The G2 Disc Brake Conversion kit from 4WD Hardware is available for 1990-to-2006 Jeep Wrangler, Cherokees, and Grand Cherokees. The kit replaces the factory drum brakes with a direct bolt-in disc brake package for improved stopping power.
- The kit includes dual drilled rotors to accept 5-on-4.5 and 5-on-5.5 bolt patterns, calipers, and all necessary brackets to fit the Dana 35, Dana 44 and/or Chrysler 8.25-inch rear axles.
- Kit also includes an internal drum parking brake for better holding power
Ididit offers its Ignition Tilt Floor Shift Steering Columns for 1976-to-1986 Jeep CJ5 and CJ7 models. It is a safe a durable retrofit bolt-in column that is available in paintable steel, chrome, or black powder coat.
- Standard features include eight-position tilt, self-canceling turn signals, four-way flashers, knobs and levers, and a GM top shaft
- Includes two coded keys for the electric internal ignition (Touch-N-Go Start keyless ignition system upgrade available) and welded mounting tabs
The JCR Offroad Jeep One-Ton Steering Upgrade eliminates the hard-to-adjust “Y-style” stock steering arrangement found in many Jeep models. This allows use of a longer drag link to help alleviate extreme steering angles and alignment issues in lifted Jeeps.
- Upgrade kit includes two Rock Rods, four tie-rod ends, four jam nuts, and one poly bushing
- The Rock Rods are 1.25-inch-diameter DOM tube. Wall thickness is just under 0.25 inches thick
- Available for XJ, ZJ, TJ, and YJ models
The Jeep Wrangler JK Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Reinforcement kit from JKS Manufacturing is designed to dramatically increase the strength and load capacity of the front track bar mount. It also adds a heavy-duty bearing fixture to stabilize and support the steering box output shaft.
- Fits over the factory track bar mount and connects it to the chassis at eight additional points
- A tubular support strut connects left and right chassis rails to unitize the front chassis structure
- Available for 2007-and-up Jeep Wrangler JKs with two-or-more inches of lift
M.O.R.E.'s Steering Correction kit for Jeep YJs is said to offer improved handling and durability. Two kits are available to replace and improve the factory steering arrangement in Jeep YJs.
- The Stage One kit includes the knuckle bracket, tie rod and drag link assemblies, and all necessary hardware
- The Stage Two kit adds a track bar bracket and dropped pitman arm
- All parts are bare steel and are shipped unpainted. Zinc plating is available on a special-order basis
Omix-Ada offers Power Brake Booster and Master Cylinder kits for 1976-to-1986 Jeep CJ models. Omix-Ada has reproduced the original brake booster bracket and offers it in conjunction with brake booster and master cylinder in one convenient kit.
- Omix-Ada brake parts are built to the original specifications and made to last
- Available for either two- or six-bolt calipers
- Omix-Ada offers a wide variety of steering and brake parts for most Jeep models
The PPE Idler Arm is perfect for GM truck owners who have added larger wheels, more horsepower, or use their vehicle for off-roading purposes. It is a factory part that has been precision-machined and equipped with a large 7/8-inch bolt.
- Designed to withstand high stress conditions without breaking and leaving you stranded
- Replaces weak OEM idler arm
- Compatible with OEM center link (with proper modifications)
- Intended to be used with PPE Centerlink and Race Pitman Arm
Pro Comp now offers its high-performance dual steering stabilizer system for the 2007-to-2012 Jeep Wrangler. Systems are also available for other popular 4x4 applications.
- Includes Pro Comp's proven ES2000 dampers with heavy-duty bracketry and high quality hardware
- Designed to help reduce wear on tires, ball joints and steering components
Reid Racing's Heavy-Duty Highsteer Knuckles for the 2007-and-up Jeep Wrangler JK Dana 30 and Dana 44 front axles address one of the Jeep's weakest links - its steering. The reversed drag link taper works in conjunction with any aftermarket drag link flip kit to perfectly correct the steering geometry for 2.5-inch to 5-inch suspension lifts. This provides clearance to raise the tie rod as high as possible.
- The tie rod is relocated well above the axle centerline and is no longer the lowest and most vulnerable part of the Jeep
- Additional material and ribbing significantly increases the knuckles' strength, while dual cast-in steering stops eliminate U-joint and axle failures
Rocky Road Outfitters
The Rocky Road Outfitter's Over-The-Top (OTT) steering system replaces the factory Jeep components and places everything on top of the knuckles. The kit raises the drag link, tie rod, and the track bar for a true knuckle over high steer system.
- Available for all Dana 30 coil spring Jeeps (Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, and Comanche). Steering kits are also available for Jeep CJ, Jeep YJ, and Suzuki Samurai
- True bolt-on system — no welding required
- Uses LH and RH threads on the tie rod so that alignment can easily be performed
Rocky Road Outfitters
The Rough Country HD Tie Rod Sleeve Upgrade for GM 1500 and 2500 pickups fortifies a crucial weak point in the stock steering system. This heavy-duty sleeve increases the factory steering link diameter from 0.5- to 1-inch. The steel sleeve strengthens steering components and can be installed in about an hour.
- A great solution to avoiding bent or snapped tie rods
- Equipped to handle the increased leverage of larger tires and 4WD in full turns
- Available for 2001-to-2010 GM 2500 HD, 2001-to-2006 GM 1500 HD, 2007 GM 1500 Classic, and 1999-to-2006 GM 1500 pickup
Rugged Ridge stainless steel braided brake hoses prevent line expansion giving you a better pedal feel. No soft-pedal feel means better braking performance. Rugged Ridge Braided Stainless Steel Brake Hoses meet or exceed DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
- Ends are factory-crimped eliminating the chance of leakage
- Includes Rugged Ridge 3 Year Limited Warranty
- Available for front and rear Jeep model applications ranging from CJ through JK
- Tough stainless-steel braided outer cover features a flexible Teflon inner core
- Offers four inches of added length over stock hoses
Rusty's Off-Road Products
Rusty's Off-Road Products now offers a heavy-duty Over-the-Knuckle Steering Conversion that beefs up the steering linkage on Jeep XJ, ZJ, and TJ models. The kit completely replaces the factory linkage design and raises the steering on the axle, where it is less vulnerable to damage.
- Includes a heavy-duty tie rod and drag link constructed of 1.5-inch-by-0.250-inch-wall DOM tubing that utilizes spherical rod ends with the appropriate misalignment washers, shims, and bolts to prevent rod end failure
- Includes a heavy-duty track bar and new mounts for both the frame and the axle
- Installation requires cutting and welding and should be performed only by qualified professionals
Rusty's Off-Road Products
Skyjacker's Dual In-Line Steering Stabilizer design acts as a dampening shock for your steering system by softening the harshness of the highway and the “shimmy” from running the additional weight of larger tires and wheels.
- Designed to reduce the fatigue of the driver by decreasing the amount of physical strength it takes to guide those larger tires on and off the road
- Skyjacker dual stabilizer kits are available for many 4WD vehicle applications
The SSBC TriPower 3-Piston Quick Change Caliper kit is specifically designed to install on the 2007-to-2011 Jeep Wrangler as a direct bolt on using the stock brake hoses, mounting hardware and rotors. By adding the SSBC TriPower 3 Piston calipers to your Jeep or truck you can expect up to a 25-percent increase in clamping force and stopping power, thanks to its massive 43mm pistons.
- Made in the USA
- The SSBC TriPower 3-Piston caliper is said to provide outstanding performance
Summit Racing Equipment
Summit Racing Equipment now offers its Big Rotor Upgrade kits for Chevy/GMC trucks. The kits feature special caliper relocation brackets that mount to the stock spindles and 14-inch slotted and vented steel rotors.
- Installation is hassle-free with no lines to disconnect or brake bleeding required
- The kit uses factory calipers and pads
- New rotors are silver cadmium-plated to resist corrosion
Summit Racing Equipment
The Synergy Suspension Heavy-Duty Front Ball Joints are designed to replace the factory ball joint that is prone to premature wear on lifted vehicles with large off-road tires. Engineered and manufactured to outperform the factory ball joint assembly, a fully greasable sintered metal-on-metal bushing design promotes high wear resistance by eliminating problematic plastic liners found in OEM ball joints.
- Fully greasable sintered metal on bushing design that has high wear resistance
- Ball joint boot is made from tear/wear-resistant silicone polyurethane
- Includes all necessary hardware for installation
T&T Customs offers its OTK (Over-The-Knuckle) steering solution for many Jeep models. The OTK kit includes new, one-ton-rated drag link and tie rod ends, new 1.313-inch by 0.250-inch-wall DOM drag link and tie rod tubes, jam nuts, replacement sway bar end link mounts, and a track bar bracket.
- Available for XJ/MJ, ZJ, and TJ model Jeeps
- Welding is required to install the sway bar end link mounts and the track bar bracket
The TeraFlex JK Front Big Brake kit is designed as a factory brake upgrade for Jeep JKs. It offers improved braking performance over the factory brake system and is a 100 percent bolt-on upgrade.
- Requires use of 17-inch-diameter wheels or larger
- The simple bolt-on upgrade requires no cutting, welding or adapter bracketry for installation
- Uses oversized 56mm dual piston calipers and 13.3-inch mill-balanced vented rotors
- Includes composite-resin, semi-metallic brake pads
- Slotted rotors are an available option
The Trail-Gear Samurai High Steer kit has been engineered specifically to work with stock Samurai axles. It is a complete kit that features solid forged 8620 steel steering arms, heavy-duty 1 1/4-by-0.250-inch-wall DOM drag link and tie rod, FJ80 tie rod ends, and all necessary hardware.
- The kit includes the hard-to-find 1:10 taper reamer for reaming out the stock pitman arm
- Designed for easy installation
- Trail-Gear offers additional steering and brake products for a variety of 4WD Toyota, Suzuki, and Jeep applications
Trail Tough Products
Trail Tough offers its Economy Rear Disc Brake kits for Toyota and Suzuki 4WD applications.
- The Economy kits include the brackets and mounting hardware required for installation, allowing you to source factory calipers and rotors locally or through Trail Tough.
- Economy Toyota Rear Disc Brake kit is designed for 1979-to-1995 Toyota rear axles.
- Caliper brackets and mounting hardware accommodate 1983-to-1985 front brake rotors and 1979-to-1985 front brake calipers
- Economy Samurai Rear Disc Brake kit includes the installation parts necessary for the do-it-yourselfer to put Samurai front calipers and rotors on the rear of your Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick
Trail Tough Products
Wilwood Engineering offers a big brake kit for the 2007-to-present Jeep Wrangler JK. The kit features the latest in disc brake technology and includes Wilwood's Forged Billet Superlite four-piston calipers in black powder coat and oversized 14-inch-by-1.25-inch GT asymmetrical face slot pattern rotors.
- Compatible with the original equipment master cylinder and ABS system
- Includes aluminum hats, caliper mounting brackets, and all necessary hardware for an easy, bolt-on installation
- Optional SRP drilled and slotted rotors are also available