Getting stuck is part of ’wheeling. But, you don’t have to take it. You can get out of any nasty situation without issue by preparing yourself and your 4x4 for the inevitable with a stout winch and the proper recovery gear. Check out the following recovery gear products to see what you still need to complete your recovery gear arsenal.
ASR’s Kinetic Recovery Tow Ropes are the tool to use when towing stuck vehicles. The rope utilizes the kinetic energy of the tow vehicle to apply more extraction power to the stuck vehicle without cringe-inducing jolts associated with using chains or standard tow straps.
- Double-braid nylon material provides up to 30 percent elongation during use, which translates into lower impact but higher energy transfer to the stuck vehicle
- Features heavy-duty Cordura abrasion protection in both eyes and a slider section in between
- Marine-grade coating is used for UV and abrasion resistance
- Made in the USA
- Available in 3/4-inch (19,000 pounds), 7/8-inch (28,300 pounds), and 1-inch (33,500 pounds) diameters to suit a variety of vehicle sizes
For more information, contact: ASR Offroad, (425)686-8644, asroffroad.com
Rough Country Suspension Systems is pleased to debut its new line of powerful winches at an unbelievably low price. Four top-of-the-line winch systems are now available as part of Rough Country Recovery Systems, a new division focused on delivering high-powered, high-quality recovery solutions that are durable, strong, and sure to come in handy when the situation gets a little murky.
- Each unit features series-wound motors, which are extremely efficient at higher speeds and less prone to overheating compared to permanent magnet motors
- Speeds range from 5.5 horsepower on 9,500-pound-capacity units to a staggering 6 horsepower on 12,000-pound units
- Rough Country Recovery Systems utilize a three-stage planetary gear train boasting a 265:1 gear ratio—allowing enormous torque in such a small housing
- Winch systems are available in either 9,500- or 12,000-pound line pull capacity with either steel cable with a four-way roller fairlead or the highly maneuverable and incredibly strong synthetic rope with a hawse fairlead
- All winches include a free wireless remote for easy operation and a replaceable Clevis hook for convenience
For more information, contact: Rough Country, (800)222-7023, roughcountry.com
ARB USA offers its complete, pre-assembled ARB Premium Recovery Kit, which includes everything the off-roader needs to get started. Whether it be a simple snatch recovery or a more serious winch recovery, the ARB premium recovery kit has it all. Retailing for $390, the premium recovery kit represents exceptional value and a savings over purchasing each component individually.
- The ARB Premium Recovery Kit includes a 17,500-pound-capacity snatch strap, a 10-foot-long 26,500-pound tree trunk protector, a 66-foot-long 9,900-pound-capacity winch extension strap, an ARB recovery damper, one pair of leather gloves, a 10,640-pound-capacity 3/4-inch–pin D-shackle, and an ARB Snatch Block 9000
- The kit also includes a large ARB recovery bag to stow the gear
For more information, contact: ARB USA, (800)761-8192, arbusa.com
The Pull-Pal is a portable anchoring tool well-suited for a wide range of environments. Intended as a tool for winching through sand and mud, Pull-Pal’s design relies on useful rules of physics. Its hefty plow blade sets firmly and safely into sand, clay, mud, hardpan soil, and snow.
- Constructed with a forged chromoly plow assembly, welded construction overall, and assembled with Grade 8 bolts for strength and quality
- Folds compactly to the size of an ordinary bumper jack for easy storage. It can be mounted inside or outside or stored in Pull-Pal’s custom carrying case
- Extra heavy-duty RW16000 Pull-Pal available for vehicles weighing up to 12,000 GVW
For more information, contact: Pull-Pal, (970)963-4507, pullpal.com
Extreme Outback Products
The Extreme Outback Products Powersports Puncture Repair Kit is ideal for repairing tubeless tires. The kit includes a handle with needle inserter and probe, 15 high-quality plugs, three tubes of glue, three valve cores, a razor knife, two valve caps, a four-way tire tool, and a MIL-SPEC two-compartment storage pouch.
- Storage pouch measures 5x3.5x3.5 inches, about the size of a pocket camera
- This product won a Global Media Award at the 2009 SEMA Show
For more information, contact: Extreme Outback Products, (866)447-7711, extremeoutback.com
Hi-Lift Jack Co.
The Hi-Lift Jack Co. has been making its popular Hi-Lift Jack for more than 100 years. The Hi-Lift Jack is a rugged, highly versatile jack capable of lifting, pushing, pulling, winching, and clamping.
- The Hi-Lift Jack offers a rated capacity of 4,660 pounds and a tested capacity of 7,000 pounds
- Only Hi-Lift Jacks are made with a two-piece handle and socket design that is built for extended life
- A full range of specially designed accessories is available to further the Hi-Lift’s capabilities
- Every jack comes complete with an adjustable top clamp/clevis for use in clamping and winching
- The 1-5/16-inch-diameter by 30-inch-long steel handle is manufactured from 14-gauge high-yield structural tubing with a minimum yield of 55,000 psi.
For more information, contact: Hi-Lift Jack Co., (800)233-2051, hi-lift.com
Mac’s Custom Tie-Downs
Mac’s Custom Tie-Downs’ Trail D-Vise is designed to make trail repairs easier and more effective. The D-Vise slides into a standard receiver hitch and is secured with a hitch pin to create a stout bench vise in the middle of nowhere.
- Turns using a lug wrench or socket wrench, or the included handle that stows neatly on the side when not in use. Handle can also be used as a bottle opener
- Can be pinned in place upright or sideways to accommodate different materials
- Designed to open far enough to repair U-joints on the trail
- Includes new Slip-Not surfaced jaws and a separate set of pipe jaws beneath
- Painted black
For more information, contact: Mac's Custom Tie-Downs, (800)666-1586, macscustomtiedowns.com
The Power Tank PT10 Package C System is a high-performance air system recommended for those running 35-inch-or-larger tires and especially those running higher tire pressures (fullsize trucks).
- Power Tank’s PT10 Package C System includes a new SuperFlow HP250i Regulator, a Super Coupler, an aluminum 10-pound powdercoated tank, a tank boot, a KIT-8133 tire repair kit, a regulator cover, a TIG-8200 tire inflator, and a 25-foot braided coil hose
- Tanks are available in clear aluminum, Polar White, Team Yellow, Candy Blue, Trans Black, and polished
- Also includes a Power Tank Super Bracket and a set of roll bar clamps for quick and easy mounting
For more information, contact: Power Tank, (209)366-2163, powertank.com
Master-Pull Superline XD Synthetic Rope is comprised of the high-strength Superline as its core and a Dyneema overbraided cover for unrivaled abrasion resistance and UV protection. Master-Pull Superline is 80 percent lighter than steel cable and is 30 to 60 percent stronger. Synthetic winch line is much safer than wire rope as it does not store energy, so there is no dangerous snapback or whiplash in the case of breakage. Master-Pull Superline XD Synthetic rope is available in standard winch sizes, but Master-Pull also specializes in custom orders.
- Superline has the highest strength per diameter, and the Basic series is perfect for people wanting the benefits of synthetic at the best value
- Master-Pull also offers its Winch Stop thimbles, which are designed as a replacement for standard stainless-steel and tube thimbles. The Winch Stop thimble allows you to easily attach a shackle to the front of your winch line with a secure, stout mounting point and prevents fingers from being sucked into the fairlead while spooling the line back on the winch
- Master-Pull fairleads are machined out of 6061-T6 aluminum and are specifically designed for synthetic winch lines and are much lighter than roller fairleads
For more information, contact: Master-Pull, (360)714-1313, masterpull.com
Warn Industries has introduced the next generation of winches for the truck and SUV market. The Warn Zeon is a design masterpiece with innovative features and new levels of reliability and performance. The Zeon 8, Zeon 10, and Zeon 12 winches are available in 8,000-, 10,000-, and 12,000-pound capacities and come with wire rope and a roller fairlead. Like all Warn truck and SUV winches, the Zeon comes with a limited lifetime warranty on mechanical parts and a one-year warranty on electrical components (U.S. and Canada only) backed by a global service network.
Features a totally new and unique exterior styling and symmetrical design to offer a look that is advanced, capable, and strong - Convertible control pack can be attached to the winch or remotely mounted, allowing for various winch-mounting options and looks
- New-design planetary gear train and series-wound motor deliver fast, quiet, and reliable pulling power
- Satin-black powdercoated finish with stainless-steel fasteners and clutch lever look great and inhibit corrosion. Features improved IP68 winch sealing to keep the elements out
- Zeon 8-S and Zeon 10-S feature Warn Spydura synthetic rope and a polished aluminum hawse fairlead
- Large-diameter aluminum winch drum reduces rope wear, is lightweight, and has an integrated rope anchor for easy rope installation
- Other features include an easy-throw stainless-steel clutch lever, an automatic mechanical brake that will hold the full rated load and provide excellent control while winching, and an ultra-durable rubberized corded remote with a 12-foot (3.7m) lead
For more information, contact: Warn Industries, warn.com
The all-new Smittybilt X2O 10 10,000-pound winch has all the muscle and peak performance you’ll ever need in a winch. The latest X2O winches feature Smittybilt’s series-wound amphibious technology, which completely seals the 5.5-horsepower series-wound motor as well as the three-stage planetary gear system. It has an oversized, completely waterproof, state-of-the-art 500-amp solenoid that has the versatility to be mounted over the winch motor or winch cable. The new X2O 10 Comp Series has a 218:1 gear ratio that delivers lightning-fast speed and includes Smittybilt’s lifetime warranty.
- Includes 94 feet of synthetic DSK-75 10,000-pound rope, which is 1/7th the weight of steel cable and won’t kink, curl, or splinter. The rope is specifically coated to resist slippage on the winch drum and includes a protective sleeve to prevent overheating and a replaceable hook
- Intuitive design ensures a simple, hassle-free installation
- Aluminum fairlead included
- All Smittybilt winches meet SAE-J706 standard ratings for winches
- Smittybilt also offers a full line of recovery gear, including its Element Ramps (pictured above), trail shovel and trail axe, winch accessory kit, air tank, winch anchor, and XRC and X20 Series winches
For more information, contact: Smittybilt, (888)717-5797, smittybilt.com
Viking Offroad is now offering the Viking Winch GS-9, a lightweight and powerful self-recovery winch with low amperage draw, made to withstand everyday use by both professionals and hobbyists alike. At just over 58 pounds fully outfitted with a Viking safety thimble and hawse fairlead, the GS-9 winch is as light as specialty winches without compromising line capacity or strength. This lighter package reduces load on suspensions and drivetrains by as much as 30 percent over the competition, all without sacrificing performance.
- Innovative Viking TieBridge provides more room under the traditional chrome tie rods, giving the availability for more rope length. As the rope stacks on the drum off center, the additional space from the TieBridge lets the rope stack without interference from the tie rods. This bolsters overall reliability and safety
- Designed to be 100 percent synthetic winch line compatible
- Patented cone brake outside the drum design lessens the heat buildup and increases safety and line life compared to friction braking inside the drum
- Features sealed Albright solenoids packaged in a remote-mount control box that is designed to be mounted underhood or behind the grille for increased airflow to the vehicle’s radiator. Traditional motor-based mounting is also possible
- Five models of the Viking Winch GS-9 are available and include an Excel Hook or Viking Safety Thimble, as well as choice of black or orange winch line
- The GS-9 comes with a limited lifetime warranty for mechanical components and a limited one-year warranty for electrical components
For more information, contact: Viking Offroad, (818)842-0595, vikingoffroad.com
Collins Brothers Jeep
Black Mountain winches from Collins Brothers Jeep are available in 8,000- and 10,000-pound capacities to suit a variety of vehicles. The BM8000S uses a permanent magnet DC 1.8-horsepower 12-volt motor with a 210:1 gear reduction ratio while the BM10000S Black Mountain winch uses a series-wound 2.7-kilowatt/3.6-horsepower 12-volt motor with a 294:1 gear reduction ratio.
- Winches comes with cable, hook, and controller
- The Black Mountain BM8000S winch retails for less than $350 while the BM10000S winch retails for less than $450
For more information, contact: Collins Brothers Jeep, (800)699-JEEP, collinsbrosjeep.com
Compact and easy to use, the Rugged Ridge Tri-Fold Off-Road Shovel is a revolutionary new shovel design that provides a durable shovel when you need it most. Constructed of painted gray steel with reinforced hinges, this shovel folds up and stores easily in your vehicle.
- Each shovel comes with a handy storage case, protecting your interior from loose dirt and mud
- Great for use on the trail or at the campsite
For more information, contact: Rugged Ridge, (770)614-6101, ruggedoffroad.com
Ideal for protecting your hands during recovery actions, Mechanix gloves are available in a variety of styles to choose from.
- Material 4X Original gloves use unique synthetic leather developed by Mechanix Wear. It is said to last four times longer than standard synthetic work gloves because it shares similar abrasion and puncture qualities as leather, but it’s machine washable
- The M-Pact 2 glove is great for winching and making on-the-fly repairs. It’s a fully padded glove, making it extremely effective against blunt impact injuries, pinched fingers, and abrasioned to the palm, fingers, and knuckles
For more information, contact: Mechanix Wear, (800)222-4296, mechanix.com
Mile Marker Recovery Gear
Mile Marker’s all-new Project ES (Element Sealed) winches feature best-in-class line speeds, corrosion-proof construction, submersible solenoids with marine-grade connections, and have 19 watertight seals to conquer every element imaginable. Other winches claim “waterproof” or “sealed,” but Mile Marker’s Project ES winches were independently lab-certified to the IP68 standard to be impermeable to liquid and dust.
- Mile Marker has a full line of the Project ES Winches ranging from 2,500 pounds to 15,000 pounds
- Also available from Mile Marker is its new Plug and Play wireless remote control, which is an effortless way to operate your winch. Simply plug in the receiver to your control box, and you are ready for wireless operation up to 50-feet away. The system includes a weatherproof, shock-resistant transmitter with dual-color operator feedback and magnet-mounted receiver. The Plug and Play is also adaptable to any solenoid-controlled electric winch, regardless of manufacturer
For more information, contact: Mile Marker recovery Gear, milemarker.com
The new Snap-on LED Hybrid Light features 16 LEDs and unlike incandescent bulbs, which burn hot, this portable, battery-powered auxiliary light is cool to the touch. The tubular-shaped light has a high-impact tube lens, a rubber molded comfort grip, and a magnetic base.
- Features a durable anodized aluminum handle and cap
- Functions not only as a head beam flashlight, but its body projects 360-degree illumination, as well
- Three AAA cell batteries are included
- The Snap-on LED Hybrid Light #92421 retails for $9.99 and is available direct by calling the phone number provided here (not available at snap-on.com)
For more information, contact: Snap-on, (800)255-7011, snap-on.com
ComeUp USA introduces its new-generation Seal Series self-recovery winches into the North American market. ComeUp is the only winch that has the distinction of taking driven vehicles to both the north and south poles, traversing the most hostile and rugged terrains on the face of the earth. The Seal Series winches are fully integrated units with 9,500-pound line-pulling capacities. Three models are available: Seal 9.5i, Seal 9.5si, and Seal 9.5rsi. The Seal model name represents the winches’ submersible capability, rated to IP68 specs.
- Features a fully sealed transmission and motor system and a built-in thermal detector with LED and audio indicators
- Waterproof remote control and built-in waterproof receiver module for wireless remote control are certified by the FCC and CE
- External automatic full-load cone brake structure (CBS) is ideal for synthetic rope. The CBS system is also an adjustable true friction brake and provides the most brake surface area of any winch on the market
- Seal Series winches are available with wire rope, synthetic rope, and wireless remote
For more information, contact: ComeUp USA, (503)783-6142, comeupusa.com
Recovery Gear USA
Recovery Gear USA manufactures its FHS Pro Grade Recovery Straps in the USA. The 30-feet-long by 3-inches-wide high-strength nylon woven strap was originally developed for commercial tow operators. It features fully wrapped eyes with double-reinforced wear pads and two sliding Cordura wear sleeves.
- Conservatively rated with a tensile strength of 27,000 pounds and a minimum breaking strength of 21,600 pounds
- A red warning indicator is woven into the webbing to alert user of damage and excess wear
- The FHS Pro Grade Recovery Strap is covered by a limited five-year consumer warranty
For more information, contact: Recovery Gear USA, (888)877-6837, recoverygear.com
Premier Power Welder
Having a welder on board your 4x4 is a good thing if you travel the backcountry or venture on solo trips. The Premier Power Welder fits under the hood of most 4x4s and offers battery charging, welding, and 115V DC power source capabilities. The Premier Power Welder alternator/welding systems include the central welder control unit with solid-state regulator, a 6-foot harness, a 6-foot verniered throttle control assembly, a battery-charging clamp, a premier heavy-duty alternator, and installation and instruction manuals.
- With the Premier Power Welder’s 100 percent duty cycle, you can ARC weld, MIG weld, and TIG weld just above engine idle
- Also capable of running power equipment such as grinders, drills, saws, and incandescent lights
- Proven in all phases of use, including applications in military, municipal, farming, off-road, rescue, construction, and maintenance vehicles
- Many vehicle applications are available
For more information, contact: premier Power Welder, (970)963-4507, premierpowerwelder.com