Subscribe to a magazine

Drag Link

Back to article View Gallery
5 of 15
Running into the guardrail took its toll on the tie rod and drag link. Both were tweaked pretty good. We tried to use a bottle jack to straighten them out, but ultimately had to pull them off and put them in a hydraulic press to straighten them out. We got them straight and then sleeved them with some .188-inch-wall tubing to keep them that way, only to discover that the drag link really needs a little bit of bend to it. Unfortunately, after sleeving them, there was no way to bend it back to where it needed to be, so we ground down the threads on the tie-rod ends so we could adjust the steering correctly. We'll need to come back to this later, but for the time being it'll work.

Advertisement