Morphing Into A Crawler
Some people are just lucky! Bryon Porter of Hesperia, California, was given an '84 Toyota 4x4 pickup 20 years ago for his 16th birthday by his too-cool parents. Ever since then the classic 4x4 has slowly been transformed into one of the nicest trail Toyotas we have run across.
Bryon works at Western Fabricators in Hesperia, which brings his affinity for fabrication and four-wheeling full circle. Working at a fab shop gave him all the tools and equipment he needed to transform his Toyota into a very capable crawler and allowed him to craft trick parts like the utility box bedsides.
After spending a day on the trail with Bryon and his truck, we found that the truck not only looks great, but performs like a well-engineered Toyota crawler should.
1984 Toyota Pickup
- Engine: Chevy 4.3L V-6
- Transmission: NV4500
- Transfer case: Toyota fitted with Marlin 4.7:1 gears
- Front Axle: Diamond, 5.29 gears, ARB Air Locker
- Rear Axle: Ford 9-inch, 5.29 gears, Detroit Locker
- Springs & Such: Trail Gear leaf springs in front, All-Pro leaf springs in rear, Bilstein shocks
- Tires & Wheels: 37x12.50R17 BFGoodrich KM2, Trail Gear 17x9 Creeper Locks
- Steering: Hi-Steer, Trail Gear ram assist
- Other Stuff: Custom 20-gallon fuel tanks, Flowmaster exhaust system, custom transmission tunnel, Ford Explorer rear disc brakes, Auto Meter gauges, Lecarra steering wheel