Subscribe to a magazine

Carb On Bench

Back to article View Gallery
6 of 10
Once Piggy had some fresh gas and the battery was charged up, it was pretty easy to get it running. Not surprisingly, it had some vacuum leaks. One line had been plugged with the back of a spark plug. That’s inventive. We plugged all the open ports and it ran a bit better, but the remaining vacuum line was dry and cracked. A carb rebuild helped a bit more. Lastly, we tried to set the timing, but the cap and rotor were old and needed to be replaced. And our replacement distributor was missing the metal clip that locates the cap on the distributor. We tossed on a new cap and rotor and bent up a locating clip out of some sheetmetal so we could set the timing. Then we pulled the wheels and tossed on some ratty 31-inch ATs we had in the side yard.

Advertisement