Package name: Nissan Super Charged Performance Package
For which vehicles? '01-'04 Nissan Frontier S/C
Horsepower gain: 45 hp
Torque gain: 35 lb-ft
What's in the box?
* A stainless steel after-cat exhaust system
* A K&N Air Charger kit and filter
* High performance cams
* A 2.3-inch pulley
* Pulley puller tool kit
Why would I want it? Your engine is a big air pump. This system allows for more airflow going in and out. The pulley swap increases boost. The cams provide an increase in both lift and duration. Overall, the increase in power is tailored to make it easier to turn larger tires and to pull you and all your gear through rugged terrain.
How much does it cost? $1,265
Contact: Automotive Customizers, Dept. FW, 1538 SW 7th Ave., Pompano Beach, FL 33060, 954/785-4223
Package name: Six-Gun Bundle
For which vehicles? '01-'04 Chevrolet and GMC trucks with the Duramax 6.6L, '03-'04 Ford trucks with the Power Stroke 6.0L, '99-'03 Ford trucks with the 7.3L Power Stroke and '03-'04 Dodge Rams with the Cummins 5.9L
Horsepower gain: Up to 155 hp
Torque gain: Up to 385 lb-ft
What's in the box?
* A Banks Six-Gun Diesel Tuner
* A Banks Speed-Loader upgrade
* A Banks 100-percent stainless 4-inch constant-diameter Monster exhaust system
* A polished stainless 4-inch straight-through Monster muffler with Banks' exclusive expansion chamber
* A 5-inch polished stainless double-wall tailpipe tip with rolled edge
* A Banks BigHead wastegate actuator
* A Banks Ram-Air filter assembly
* A turbine outlet pipe
* A DynaFact boost gauge and pyrometer assembly
* Note: Contents vary by application.
Why would I want it? Unbelievable increases in torque from trucks that are already torque monsters. In fact, the wastegate actuator helps your engine produce tremendous torque right off idle. The easy-breathing intake and free-flowing exhaust dramatically increase the volume of air you can move. And you wind up with a rich, rumbly exhaust note too.
How much does it cost? Starting at $1,398
Contact: Gale Banks Engineering, Dept. FW, 546 Duggan Ave., Azusa, CA 91702, 800/277-1991, www.bankspower.com
Package name: Power Package
For which vehicles? '00-'04 Chevy and GMC light-duty trucks with the 4.8L/5.3L/6.0L engine families
Horsepower gain: 46 hp on a 4.8L engine
Torque gain: 40 lb-ft on a 4.8L engine
What's in the box?
* Your choice of two Crane camshafts:
1. Part number 1449555 has 272/280 advertised duration; 210/218 degrees duration at 0.050-inch lift; 0.531/0.531-inch valve lift; 114-degree lobe separation. (This cam is ideal for all-around use, including towing a boat or camper.)
2. Part number 1449565 has 278/286 advertised duration; 216/224 degrees duration at 0.050-inch lift; 0.551/0.551-inch valve lift; 115-degree lobe separation. (This is a "Sport Truck" cam, designed for street performance in a truck that will not be towing.)
* Crane dual-coil valve springs (Their quiet operation prevents false knock readings, which can result in computer-retarded ignition and degrade performance.)
* Titanium valve-spring retainers
* Your choice of two Quick Lift roller rocker kits, either 1.7:1 or 1.8:1. Kits include screw-in studs, pushrod guideplates and special length, thick-wall pushrods. These rockers provide full lash adjustability and fit under the stock valve covers. The 1.8-ratio rockers increase lift approximately 0.030 inch and add approximately 2 degrees duration at 0.050 inch lift to any cam.
* An LS1 valve-spring compressor, which compresses two springs at once and makes changing valve springs on the vehicle a snap.
* A Crane Powermax Power Tuner, which includes three performance-camshaft tuning levels. It's even ready for additional modifications to your truck, including the addition of an aftermarket supercharger, high-flow injectors, headers, an after-cat exhaust system, larger tires, gear changes, a cold-air intake and more.
Why would I want it? It provides an improvement in torque and power from just off idle to 6,000 rpm, thanks to Quick Lift rocker-arm geometry. It accelerates all of the lift events and causes the cams to have power outputs equal to cams 6 degrees larger at 0.050, while still retaining the short seat-to-seat valve timing that allows custom tuning without any degradation of driveability or compromise of the OBD-II engine control system. This provides a total enhancement of the driving experience whether it is off-road or on the highway. Plus, the hand-held tuner enables you to make the most of additional performance modifications down the road.
How much does it cost? About $1,984
Contact: Crane Cams, Dept. FW, 530 Fentress Blvd., Daytona Beach, FL 32114, 386/252-1151, www.cranecams.com