13: 1945-1949 CJ-2A
The first of the production CJs (Civilian Jeeps), 214,202 units were produced. The earliest versions used a column shift until early 1946. The earliest CJ-2As also used the MB's full-floating rear axle and had military tool notches in the body. Unlike the MBs, the CJs used a tailgate and had "Willys'' embossed on the hood sides and windshield frame. The beefier T-90 gearbox replaced the old T-84. CJ-2A sales were very brisk, especially considering the almost endless supply of MBs on the war surplus market. A few CJ-2As were built concurrently with the later CJ-3A. This very early CJ-2A belongs to Art Carey of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
14: 1949-1953 CJ-3A
This was the last of the "low-hood'' flatfendered CJs. Only a few changes, mostly visual, marked the CJ-3A from the 2A. The windshield is a one-piece design and has a vent just below it. In its four-year run, 131, 843 CJ-3As were manufactured. The 3A got an axle upgrade from a Spicer 42-1 to a Spicer 44-2. A stripped "Farm Jeep'' option was available for 1951-43 models; these featured a standard drawbar and PTO. In 1953, the CJ-3A was built alongside the "high-hood,'' F-head-powered CJ-3B. This extremely original 1950 CJ-3A belongs to Colin Hutto of Cedaredge, Colorado.
15. 1950-1952 M-38 (WILLYS MODEL MC)
A direct knockoff of the CJ-3A, the M-38 was upgraded for GI use by a stronger frame and suspension, a 24-volt electrical system, and full-floating rear axle, in addition to a multitude of military accoutrements. These rigs saw combat in Korea, but production was low at 61,423 units. An export version was built from 1953 to 1955 for foreign military forces. The headlight guards, blackout lights, battery panel on the cowl and tool notches on the body are the way to ID them. Some were equipped with Ramsey winches. Reg Hodgon's M-38 is decked out in Korean War-vintage Canadian colors.
16: 1951 CJ-4
This is the missing link between the CJ-3A/3B and the CJ-5. Only one unit was built in 1951. It was probably the first vehicle to carry the new Willys "Hurricane'' F-head engine and was probably a concurrent development with the MD model (M-38A1/CJ-5). It combined the rear of a CJ-3A, the hood of an MD, and this unique cowl and fenders on an 81-inch wheelbase. Mechanically, it was pretty standard Jeep. Carrying the engineering code X-151 (X, experimental; Serial No. 1, 1951) the rig was sold to a Willys employee in 1955 who worked it for 12 years. John Milam, of Ida, Michigan, has owned it for the last 25 years.
17A OR 17B: 1952-1957 M-38A1
This was the first appearance of the "round-fender'' Jeep that would eventually become the CJ-5. The M-38A1 was quite different than the CJ-5, having a stronger chassis and reversed front spring shackles, in addition to the military accoutrements such as standardized GI instruments and 24-volt electricals. The M-38A1 lasted quite awhile in military service. Even after it was replaced by the high-tech Ford M-151, they could be seen in OD green as late as the 1970s. In all, 101,488 units were produced, some of which went for export. This rig is owned by George Baxter at Army Jeep Parts in Bristol, Pennsylvania.
18 1953-1968 CJ-3B
This "high-hood'' Jeep was essentially a CJ-3A with the taller F-head engine fitted and a "hood-ectomy'' to give clearance. Though it may have been intended as a interim model prior to the intro of the CJ-5, it stayed in production until 1968 as a shorter-wheelbase option. With only a few thousand a year built, many of them exported, there are not many CJ-3Bs around. A total of 155,494 were assembled in the U.S. Strangely enough, they are still being built under license in India under the Mahindra nameplate. This restored 1963 CJ-3B belongs to Derek Redmond, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.