Sean P. HolmanKen Brubaker
Construction Supervisor Ed Buster and his Chevy "Big 10" hail from Rosebud, Texas. You voted him in as an alternate in the Truck Class this year. Buster's fullsize rig is big-block-powered with a list of proven components and even a trail-friendly narrowed nose.
There's a reason why the stepside bed of Buster's truck looks like it has been bounced off rocks in Katemcy and trees in Clayton. It has! At the other end of the truck, there's mostly dent-free narrowed sheetmetal, a custom bumper with stinger, Warn M15000 winch, and "Auto Zone clearance aisle special" lights. The trucks body sits on a 3-inch "el cheapo" body lift, and the bed holds a 16-gallon fuel cell and Kilby air compressor. The rig rolls on 44-inch Boggers that are mounted on custom-built wheels with Stazworks H1 centers and Copperhead Fabrication rock rings.
Ed Buster, Team #15
- Most looking forward to: "The Tow Test. With the new big-block and the not-so-light rig, I think we have an awesome chance to make a great pull!"
- Not looking forward to: "Mud Pit. I'm just too lazy to want to clean the truck."
- Playing in his iPod/CD player:
"Flatt and Scruggs."
- Buster says:
"My grandparents are a big part of who I am today, and I love them with all my heart."
- Owner name/city: Ed Buster/Rosebud, Texas
- Occupation: Construction supervisor and owner of Dragoon Off-Road
- Vehicle model: 1978 Chevy "Big 10"
- Estimated value: N/A
- Engine/aspiration: 454ci GM V-8/dual TBI, Hedman headers
- Transmission: SM 465, Centerforce II clutch
- Transfer case: Atlas 4-spd
- Suspension (f/r): 56-in leaf springs, BBCS 15-in shocks/57-in Dodge leaf springs, BBCS 15-in shocks
- Axles (f/r): Dana 60, Detroit Locker/Dana 70HD, Detroit Locker
- Axle ratio: 4.56:1
- Wheels: 16.5x9 custom w/Stazworks H1 centers, Copperhead Fabrication rock rings
- Tires: 44x19.5-16.5 Super Swamper TSL Bogger
The entire front clip of the Chevy tilts forward to uncover a potent 454ci V-8 with an Edelbrock dual-quad rectangular-port intake and dual TBI setup. Other engine mods include a Competition Cam, Patriot Performance 320cc Freedom Series heads, Hedman headers, Powermaster 140-amp alternator, and dual Optima YellowTop batteries. A Flex-a-lite Flex-a-fit radiator with Flex-a-lite Model 292 dual fans keeps the powerplant cool. Power is routed downstream via an SM 465 transmission with 12-inch Centerforce II clutch to an Atlas four-speed transfer case. Connected to the transfer case are a pair of High Angle CV driveshafts made from 3-inch-diameter, 0.250-inch-wall tubing.