P.J. Hale: 1948 Jeep Willys PickupPosted in Top Truck Challenge: 2010 on November 1, 2010 0) (
This Dog Hunts
If we had to choose one of our favorite trucks of all time, the original Willys pickup would be high on that list. So when we saw P.J. Hale's creation in person, we have to admit to being a bit smitten. After all, how can you find fault with a living legend that has found new life atop Rockwells and 54-inch TTC Claws? Well, the answer is that you can't, and as you can see here, Hale's monster Willys can get the job done. This is one hound dog that can sniff out the scent and go in for the kill.
- Owner name/city: P.J. Hale/Kempner, TX
- Occupation: Sales
- Vehicle model:1948 Willys Pickup
- Estimated value: $18,000
- Engine/aspiration: 302ci Ford OHV V-8
- Transmission: AOD
- Transfer case: Stak 3-spd
- Suspension (f/r): 3-link, 12-in ORI ST struts/3-link, Tuff Country coil springs, Ford shocks
- Axles (f/r): 21/2-ton Rockwell/21/2-ton Rockwell
- Axle ratio: 6.72:1
- Wheels: 20x12 Stazworks
- Tires: 54-in Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC
P.J. Hale, Team #12
- Most looking forward to: "Hill Climb. It looks the worst for me. Speed and sidehill. Woohoo.
- Not looking forward to: "Mud Pit. What a mess if you do well. Unless you have unlimited horsepower and light weight and you can skim over the top."
- Playing in his iPod/CD player: "Toby Keith, Stevie Ray Vaughn."
- Hale says: "I'm just here to have a great time. If you need help, I'm there. But if you're running 33s and want to run the 5+ you will be left at the trailhead."