Ryan Knoche: 1990 Suzuki Samurai
Top Truck Challenge 2010 Competitors: The Dirty Dozen
By Four Wheeler Staff, Photography by Ken Brubaker, Sean P. Holman
The first thing you notice about Knoche's Samurai is the incredible cage/chassis work. It
This massive '90 Suzuki Samurai has obviously come a long way since Ryan Knoche acquired it bone-stock in 1998. He reports that getting it ready for Top Truck was an adventure in itself. Knoche says he went through a series of "trans hell" misadventures while trying to prep a transmission, but was mercifully rescued from his misery by the folks at Art Carr Performance Products.
- Owner name/city: Ryan Knoche/Hamburg, New York
- Occupation: Self-employed
- Vehicle model: 1990 Suzuki Samurai
- Estimated value: $35,000
- Engine/aspiration: 4.3L GM V-6/TBI, modified stock manifolds, Flowmaster muffler
- Transmission: Art Carr 700R4
- Transfer case: NP203/205, Jed's Machining adapter, LoMax 205 3.0:1 case
- Suspension (f/r): Four-link, 16-in 2.5 King air shocks/four-link, 16-in 2.5 King air shocks
- Axles (f/r): Dana 60, Crane knuckles, Ballistic double-shear high-steer arms, RCV 300M axleshafts, ARB Air Locker/14-bolt, RCV 300M axleshafts, ARB Air Locker
- Axle ratio: 5.38:1
- Wheels: 20x12 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/OMF beadlocks
- Tires: 54x19.5-20 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC
Nestled in and under the array of custom tubing is a screamin' GM 4.3L V-6 that has been h
Ryan Knoche, Team #48
- Most looking forward to:
"Tank Trap. Do I really need to answer this?"
- Not looking forward to:
"Tow Test. The event that could cause the most catastrophic failure."
- Playing in his iPod/CD player:
"Metallica. A lot of other music as well. ABC (anything but country)."
- Knoche says:
"I have an alter ego and his name is 'Morris K'noche, Offroad Extraordinaire.'"
Knoche obviously put a lot of thought into the design of the interior. There's a full arra
Disc brakes and Crane Hi Clearance kingpin knuckles with Ballistic Fabrication double-shea
Similar to the front, the rear suspension consists of a custom four-link system with King
By Four Wheeler Staff
Enjoyed this Post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, or use your favorite social media to recommend us to friends and colleagues!