So you want to go on Ultimate Adventure? Click here to learn how you too can apply for UA14!
The Ultimate Adventure is our signature 4-wheelering event, famous around the world—and for good reason. Each year we select four readers and their rigs to join the staff, friends, and sponsors of the magazine for the best 4x4 summer camp/vacation ever. It could be you that joins us this year. All it takes is a competent rig and a team of two that can wheel, wrench, get along with others, and abide by our only real rule: No Whiners! Sure, there’s a bunch of other requirements, but a positive attitude and the ability to go with the flow and fix what you have makes the trip a success for everyone.
Every year the trip is in a different region, and the adventure consists of a thousand-mile road trip with a killer four-wheel trail thrown in almost every day. You get to live out of your rig and cook, camp, and enjoy this great country with like-minded guys for a week in the summer, usually the beginning of July. You’ll have to pay all your own expenses and get time off of work to get there, wheel, and get home. Worst of all, we won’t tell you where you’re going until the last minute, no matter where we’re going in the USA. We said it’s not for whiners.
The problem is that many people don’t apply because they don’t think they will get picked—yet, like the lottery, you can’t win if you don’t play. Your rig only needs to meet minimum wheeling requirements, starting with 35-inch or better tires, a self-recovery winch on the front, locking differentials front and rear, and a protective roll bar (or a cage if it’s an open vehicle). It doesn’t need to be a buggy or wallet-job either. But it has to be street legal in your state and properly registered, licensed, and insured. We don’t allow alcohol on the trail or road, and Illegal drugs are never allowed.
Trailers aren’t allowed during the trip, as we live out of the rigs for a week. That means you bring everything you need and nothing you don’t, because if you break you will need your own tools, parts, and knowledge. We’ve had first-time wheelers with well-built homegrown rigs do the entire trip without damage or breakage—so if they can do it, you can too. But carnage and body damage will most likely occur, no matter how careful we try to be, as our purpose is to wheel for the week, not for the day. There are no bypasses, no way to avoid body damage.
It’s not hard to apply. In fact, if you can’t send us an application and photos by mail, you can do it online. Remember to get your application in to us by March 31, 2014.
- No whiners!
- Have lots of fun!
- We are not responsible for you during this event.
- We will use the buddy system so you are partnered with the Old Cronies throughout this adventure. We're all friends and this is a group endeavor, not a competition.
- We will always try to stick together and help everyone, but with a group of this size, it will not always be practical to delay the whole group for one or two people. You will never be left alone- that’s what your buddies are for.
- Only one vehicle allowed per invitee, and only two people per vehicle. The team must attend the whole trip- no substitutions.
- Once the trip begins vehicles must be driven (not towed) on the entire Ultimate Adventure. They can be towed to the starting point and home after completion of the Ultimate Adventure.
- Vehicle may be towed to repair location--the intent of the no-trailer rule is to enforce the pavement portion of the adventure.
- The group will leave as close as possible to posted times--don't be late or you may be left behind. Also, don’t wander away without informing the leader- you may be left behind. Sticking together at all times helps maintain group integrity.
- Bring all your gear with you in your trail rig (sleeping bag, food, water, and so on) for any situation--don't depend on a support vehicle or trailer along the way. We are camping (primitive) almost every night. You will be living out of your rig. You may also be wheeling with all of your gear on board, so pack accordingly.
- Participants are responsible for all of their own expenses (food, lodging, fuel, repairs, fees, and other expenses).
- No firearms, pets, and no children under 18 years old on the event.
- You are considered a representative of 4-Wheel & Off-Road magazine, as well as an adult, and a representative of the 4-wheeling community as a whole. It is important to hold yourself to the highest standards of behavior as we are on display to the entire nation. We expect you to behave accordingly at all times.
- Alcohol consumption will not be tolerated on trails or any time you are driving. Passengers may not drink on trails. Violators will get one verbal warning; the second offense removes you from the Ultimate Adventure.
- Illegal drug use will not be tolerated any time during the tour. There is no warning--first offense gets you removed from the Ultimate Adventure.
This is a 4-Wheel & Off-Road event designed to entertain our readers and offer promotional value to Ultimate Adventure sponsors. In order to protect the marketing value, Ultimate Adventure offers to its sponsors, only official sponsor's lettering and/or logos are allowed to be displayed on the Ultimate Adventure vehicles. Your vehicle must be stripped of all lettering/logos not part of the Ultimate Adventure. You will be supplied with logos from the sponsors should you wish to run them, as well as Ultimate Adventure logos for your vehicle windshield, which must be applied.
There will be a tech inspection at check-in. Your vehicle will be inspected for all of the following equipment and paperwork. You will not be allowed to join Ultimate Adventure if your vehicle fails this inspection.
- Vehicle must be road worthy and capable of sustained highway speeds of 60 mph and a fuel range of at least 150 miles.
- Vehicle must be street licensed and insured, and driver must have a valid driver's license, current registration, and current proof of insurance.
- Front and rear axle lockers (limited slips do not suffice)
- Must be self-sufficient (bring your own spare parts, fluids, tools, food and water)
- Front mounted vehicle recovery winch, and controller
- Winch accessory kit (tree saver, snatch block, clevis, chain, gloves)
- Rollbar with safety handles or grab bars (rollcage preferred)
- Adequate first-aid kit per Red Cross requirements
- Seatbelts for all occupants, always worn when vehicle is in motion
- Adequate recovery tow hooks and/or shackle/clevis attachment points front and rear
- Secure battery hold-down
- 35-inch minimum tire size and adequate spare tire
- Functional parking brake
- Properly working CB radio
- Fire extinguisher mounted in reach of occupants
- Snatch strap/recovery rope-without metal hooks
- Adequate jack and jack points
- Spill kit and PETT kit
Does all that sound like a fun adventure that you want to be apart of? If so, feel free to email your application along with photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Fill out and submit our online form simply by clicking on the link below, fill out the form, hit "submit" and then attach your pictures to the email.
Click here for the online application in PDF format.
Would you rather print your form and mail it in? If so, click the link the link above, fill it out, print it out, and mail it in!
Send the completed form to:
4-Wheel & Off-Road
831 South Douglas Street
El Segundo, CA 90245
Please include up to five photos. Must be received by March 31, 2014