Carlos Apdaly Lopez Overall Winner: 50th Baja 1000
50th Baja 1000
The 50th running of the Baja 1000 is in the books! Up front it was a hard- fought battle between 800-hp Trophy Trucks. Robby Gordon, who was first off the line in Ensenada, suffered a blown transmission just a few hundred miles into the race. His team quickly went into action to fix it. As night fell on the Baja Peninsula, a battle began forming between top Trophy Truck drivers. RPM’s Apdaly Lopez was quietly sitting in 4th place. In front of him, trucks began to fall with mechanical problems. When the sun rose over Baja Sur, Apdaly was racing towards the finish line with Cameron Steele one hour behind him. Apdaly Lopez would take the overall win in Trophy Truck with a total time of 19 hours and 53 minutes on course. Lopez also locked up the SCORE season championship. Dan McMillin would take 3rd place.
Behind the Trophy Trucks there were still hours of racing left to do for hundreds of teams. Finishing the Baja 1000 is no easy task. Racers battled thick fog on the Pacific Coast, silt beds, extremely dusty conditions, and water crossings south of Loreto to navigate through. Of the 405 race vehicles that started the 50th Baja 1000, only 233 finished. That’s 58 percent of the field. Eighty-year-old Rod Hall made history by starting and finishing all 50 races.
Teams had a 48-hour time limit to finish 1,100 miles of race course. At the finish line the stories are the same—stories of triumph and tribulation and teammates excited to have made it across the La Paz finish line. There were stories of last- minute fixes on race vehicles, being stuck for hours, borrowing parts from other teams, and stories of hard- fought battles.
By Saturday night, tracking data showed broken race vehicles all up and down the peninsula, where stories of being casualties to the Baja were being told . Despite defeat, some vowed to come back next year and do it all over again.
BFGoodrich SCORE Baja 1000 Top 10 Overall Finish Results
1. Carlos Apdaly Lopez – #1 - SCORE Trophy Truck - 19:53:36
2. Cameron Steele – #16 - SCORE Trophy Truck – 20:52:45
3. Francisco Arredondo – #45X - Pro Moto Unlimited – 21:07:16
4. Dan McMillin – #23 – SCORE Trophy Truck – 21:13:09
5. Billy Wilson – #15 – SCORE Trophy Truck – 21:22:40
6. Mark Samuels – #1X – Pro Moto Unlimited – 21:26:47
7. Chris Miller – #40 – SCORE Trophy Truck – 22:20:09
8. Troy Herbst - #91 – SCORE Trophy Truck – 22:23:13
9. Luke McMillin - #83 – SCORE Trophy Truck – 22:36:23
10. Cody Reid - #1068 – Class 10 – 22:42:53