- Diesel Jeep Rubicon vs. Wrangler Sahara vs. Range Rover Sport: Who Will Win Four Wheeler’s SUV of the Year 2020?
Diesel Jeep Rubicon vs. Wrangler Sahara vs. Range Rover Sport: Who Will Win Four Wheeler’s SUV of the Year 2020?
Four Wheeler’s SUV of the Year 2020 features the EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler, Range Rover Sport, and the Wrangler Sahara eTorque
SUV of the Year 2020 is here, and we're putting the eTorque-powered Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara etorque powered Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, the Range Rover Sport HSE, and the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel against one another in the ultimate on- and off-road test.
SUV of the Year 2020 Competitors
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.6L eTorque
- Same Pentastar 3.6L you know and love
- eTorque adds a broader torque band
- 850RE eight-speed auto gives new life to the package
2020 Range Rover Sport HSE P360
- 355 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque
- 48-volt mild-hybrid improves performance of 3.0L Ingenium V-6
- Air suspension can be raised/lowered for more off-road clearance
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
- America's first diesel-powered Jeep Wrangler has 442 lb-ft of torque and 260 hp
- Rubicon features include 4:1 transfer case, locking differentials, Dana 44 axles
- Best fuel range in a Wrangler (~500 miles)
How To Qualify For SUV of the Year 2020
Invitations were sent out to all brand-new or substantially revised four-wheel drive SUVs with a two-speed transfer case (or equivalent) that produces low-range-type gearing. Vehicles were also required to have a production run of at least 1,500 vehicles in the United States and had to be available on dealer lots by March 15, 2020. Three SUVs accepted the invitation: the Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE, the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Between the three vehicles, two packed a mild-hybrid electric punch under the hood, one ran on diesel, another was loaded with adjustable air suspension, and all three were built to be extremely capable off-road.
How To Win SUV of the Year?
We assembled a team of hand-picked judges—a crop of seasoned experts in everything 4x4 and off-road—to evaluate the EcoDiesel Jeep, the Range Rover Sport, and the Sahara Wrangler eTorque. We drove the SUVs every day, and often into the night, over the course of a week. We counted cupholders, measured 0-60 and 60-0 times, articulated the suspension, tested four-wheel drive systems, motored through mud, sliced through snow, ground through gravel, and far more. We recorded observations in official judging books and tabulated our results—a combination of empirical data and subjective evaluations of each vehicle—at the end of the week to determine the winner.